Natalie Portman Thought She'd Die on 'Black Swan' Set
Pregnant Natalie Portman has opened up about the physical and emotional demands of playing a ballet dancer in "Black Swan", revealing she thought she may "die" during the intense training and filming.
The actress spent up to eight hours a day in dance rehearsals to make her portrayal of a ballerina believable - and even dislocated a rib during the shoot. Petite Portman, who also shed 20 pounds (9.1 kilograms) for the role, admits she became so low while making the movie she felt near to death.
She tells Entertainment Weekly, "There were some nights that I thought I literally was going to die. It was the first time I understood how you could get so wrapped up in a role that it could sort of take you down."
But the movie did bring the actress double joy - she announced earlier this week she is engaged to and pregnant by choreographer fiance Benjamin Millepied, who she met while working on the film.
More Natalie Portman News
- Jennifer Lawrence Has Competition! Scarlett Johansson Develops a Zelda Fitzgerald Rival Project
- 'The Punisher' Announces 5 More New Cast Members
- Kristen Stewart Reunites With 'Twilight' Co-Stars at Women in Hollywood Awards
- Len Wiseman Files for Divorce From Kate Beckinsale
- Lady GaGa to Perform at 2016 American Music Awards
- Gilmore Girls at Major Crossroads in 'A Year in the Life' First Trailer
- Justin Timberlake Votes Early and Lands in Trouble for Taking Ballot Selfie
- 'Walking Dead' Slammed by Parents TV Council Over Violent Season 7 Premiere