'Wizard of Oz' Talent Search to Be Televised in TV Show
Andrew Lloyd Webber is in talks with U.S. TV executives over plans to bring his "Wizard of Oz" talent search to America. The composer is hoping to launch a television casting show to find an unknown to play Dorothy in the musical - as he's done in the U.K.
His U.K. show will launch in February 2011 with newcomer Danielle Hope as his leading lady and Michael Crawford returning to the London stage. He hopes his American TV talent search will prove to be healthy competition for Simon Cowell's new "The X Factor (US)" show.
Lloyd Webber tells Britain's Daily Telegraph newspaper, "A couple of the networks in the U.S. have wanted to build something around what I do on TV, and I think with Oz something is definitely going to happen there."
"The X Factor juggernaut is going to be huge there next year but other networks are looking for something to go against it. Once we've found a Dorothy in the U.S., my instinct is to open the show in Kansas (where the story is set)."
More Wizard of Oz News
- Katy Perry Teases New KP4 Song 'Witness'
- J.Lo and Alex Rodriguez Are Head Over Heels for Each Other
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Attend Funeral for His Nephew
- Ed Sheeran Forgets Lyrics During Live Performance
- Watch Second Trailer for 'Justice League'
- Nicki Minaj Teases Music Video for David Guetta's 'Light My Body Up' With On-Set Photo
- Watch Little Mix's Dreamy Cover of Rihanna's 'Love on the Brain'
- 'Walking Dead' Alum Steven Yeun and Wife Joana Pak Share First Photo of Their Newborn Baby