Christian Bale Heading East to Shoot 'Thirteen Women of Nanjing'
Hollywood actor Christian Bale is heading East - he's set to star in a new movie by Chinese director Zhang Yimou. "The Dark Knight" star has signed up to become the first big American actor to take on a lead role in a domestically-financed Chinese film.
"Thirteen Women of Nanjing" will feature Bale as a pious man "who attempts to save a group of young women forced into prostitution by the Japanese Army" during World War Two, Yimou announced in a press conference in Beijing on Wednesday, December 22.
And the filmmaker hopes Bale's attachment to the project will boost international interest in Chinese cinema. Producer Zhang Weiping adds, "Hollywood stars are expensive, but they are worth it because they can influence the whole world."
The film is due to be shot on location in Nanjing, China.
- 'This Is Us' to Bring Back Ron Cephas Jones in Season 2 After That Emotional Road Trip
- Gigi and Bella Hadid Go Vampy for Milan Fashion Week
- NBC's 'Taken' Opening Scene Reveals How Bryan Mills' Sister Is Murdered
- Wham! and Chris Martin Pay Tribute to George Michael at BRIT Awards
- Tom Cruise Reportedly Ready to Reconnect With Daughter Suri After Years Apart
- Hugh Jackman Rules Out Wolverine/Deadpool Movie
- 'Glee' Alum Lauren Potter's Engagement Called Off
- David Beckham Smashes His Tooth During Snowboarding Trip, Days After Son Brooklyn Got Arm Injury