Oprah Winfrey Offered Chance to Be Ambassador
Oprah Winfrey was once offered the chance to become a U.S. ambassador by former Secretary of State Colin Powell. The politician and statesman were dining with the talk show queen at a party in Washington, D.C. five years ago when he turned to Winfrey and asked her to consider a high office within the George W. Bush administration.
She tells Parade magazine, "He said that when we were in the ambassadors room and I said, 'Gee... an ambassador! I think that would be really great.' He goes, 'Name your country, baby, name your country'." Winfrey reveals the offer has never been made since.
Instead, the TV mogul is preparing to launch her own network, OWN, which is to air its first program in January 2011.
More Oprah Winfrey News
- Inside J.Lo and Alex Rodriguez's Secret Romantic Proposal in Paris
- Ex-Sistar Member Bora Is Dating Big Star's Feeldog
- The Obamas' Balinese Vacation Pictures: See the Family During Temple Visit and Rafting
- Ritz-Carlton Responds After Leslie Jones Accused It of Racism
- Elle Fanning Turns Her Dream Into Reality in New 'Leap!' Trailer
- This Is What Bella Thorne Does When Asked If Scott Disick Is a Sex Addict
- Bye Exes Feud! Nicki Minaj Is 'Happily Moving On' With Nas
- Jay-Z Shares '4:44' Dramatic Trailer Titled 'Kill Jay Z'