Oprah Winfrey Offered Chance to Be Ambassador
Oprah Winfrey was once offered the chance to become a U.S. ambassador by former Secretary of State Colin Powell. The politician and statesman were dining with the talk show queen at a party in Washington, D.C. five years ago when he turned to Winfrey and asked her to consider a high office within the George W. Bush administration.
She tells Parade magazine, "He said that when we were in the ambassadors room and I said, 'Gee... an ambassador! I think that would be really great.' He goes, 'Name your country, baby, name your country'." Winfrey reveals the offer has never been made since.
Instead, the TV mogul is preparing to launch her own network, OWN, which is to air its first program in January 2011.
More Oprah Winfrey News
- Get a Look at Intriguing New Footage of 'King Arthur: Legend of the Sword'
- Nicole Scherzinger Flashes Ample Cleavage and Toned Abs for New Ad
- Kurt Sutter Reveals The Mayans Originally Didn't Exist in 'Sons of Anarchy'
- Colton Haynes Introduces New Boyfriend Jeff Leatham
- First Look at Kurt Russell as Ego the Living Planet in 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2'
- Here's the First Look of Shocker's Costume in 'Spider-Man: Homecoming'
- Watch John Legend's Show-Stopping Performance at NBA All-Star Game 2017 Halftime Show
- Madonna's Malawi Twins' Father Says He Didn't Realize the Adoption Was Permanent