Actor: Director of Broadway 'Spider-Man' Should Be Prosecuted
Broadway star Adam Pascal has called for the director of troubled musical "Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark" to be prosecuted after another actor was injured on-stage during a preview performance. The beleaguered show, which features a soundtrack by U2 stars Bono and The Edge, has been blighted by delays amid rigorous safety checks for the production's aerial stunts.
The musical has also been dogged by injuries - actress Natalie Mendoza suffered concussion on the first night of previews when a rope broke and hit her on the head, and Spider-Man stuntman Kevin Aubin broke both wrists during rehearsals in October. Another preview ended in disaster on Monday, December 20 when the show was cut short following a horrific accident, which saw stunt double Christopher Tierney tumble from a platform above the stage. He was hospitalized and diagnosed with several broken ribs.
Director Julie Taymor branded the accident "heartbreaking" but was "thankful" Tierney wasn't more seriously hurt, and an investigation has subsequently blamed the incident on "human error". But "Rent" star Pascal is fuming over the latest injuries, and has called for Taymor to face legal action, according to the New York Post.
In a series of posts on Facebook.com, he writes, "They should be put Julie Taymor in jail for assault! I hope (Tierney) is ok and sues the s**t out of Julie, Bono, Edge and every other a**hole who invested in that steaming pile of actor crippling s**t!"
Tony Award-winning actress Alice Ripley also took to her Twitter.com page to air her views about the show's injury problems: "Does someone have to die? Where is the line for the decision makers, I am curious. Spider-Man should be ashamed of itself. This is completely unacceptable and embarrassing to working actors everywhere."
The musical's official opening is currently scheduled for February. The show has canceled its two Wednesday performances to test a new safety plan. This cost roughly $400,000 in ticket sales. The state officials said the plan could be tested successfully by Thursday night.
More Spider-Man News
- Charlize Theron Gets Called Out for Letting Her Son Dress Like Elsa of 'Frozen'
- Ariana Grande and Mac Miller Get Inked Together. Do They Have Matching Tattoos Now?
- Carpool Karaoke: Britney Spears Recreates 'Baby One More Time' Video, Says She'll Never Marry Again
- Mackenzie Davis on Domino Casting Rumor for 'Deadpool 2': 'I Wish I Did!'
- Emily Ratajkowski Goes Totally Naked in Hot Tub During Vacation in Greece
- Kylie Jenner Offers Fan Feeling Her Boobs to Prove They're Real
- Britney Spears, Elton John, Calvin Harris to Headline 10th Apple Music Festival in London
- Rob Kardashian Criticizes His Family for Not 'Welcoming' of His Relationship With Blac Chyna