Lil Wayne Bought Fan's Mother the Maybach of Wheelchairs
Rap superstar Lil Wayne has changed one disabled pensioner's life for the better after treating a fan's ailing mother to an $11,000 motorized wheelchair. The "Lollipop" hitmaker was moved to help after receiving weekly letters of support from 39-year-old Ronda Austin while he was locked up on gun charges at New York's Rikers Island prison.
Austin claims she shared tales about her everyday life with the incarcerated rapper, telling him about her mother Evelyn and how she had been confined to her house for almost two years. Wayne, who was released from jail in November, recently delighted Austin when he surprised her with a phone call and inquired about her elderly mother, wondering if she had been able to buy a new wheelchair to replace the battered one she had been using for years.
And after learning the Austins were still struggling, he generously offered to pay for the new chair, telling the New Jersey residents, "Don't worry about it. I got you." Austin tells the New York Daily News, "I couldn't believe it. I never asked for nothing (sic). I just told him all kinds of different things about me. I never even said I needed help."
The gift has allowed 64-year-old Evelyn the chance to venture out of her home, and she is grateful for the rapper's kind-hearted gesture. She says, "I pray for him every night thanking him for this chair. I love every bit of it. It changed my life."
But Nina Packer, the head of Lil Wayne's charitable foundation, insists the present was just a small token of Wayne's appreciation for the undying support he received while behind bars. She tells the newspaper, "It was something that he was compelled to do. He wanted to buy Mrs. Austin the Maybach (luxury car) of wheelchairs."
More Lil Wayne News
- 'The Purge' Heading to TV as 'Interwoven Anthology'
- Cashmere Cat Releases New Single 'Trust Nobody' Ft. Selena Gomez
- Rob Kardashian Regrets Tweeting Kylie Jenner's Number: 'It Was Miscommunication'
- Kristen Stewart Spooked by Ghost in 'Personal Shopper' Trailer
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Reach Temporary Custody Deal That Includes Family Counseling
- Fifth Harmony's Ally Brooke Falls After Ambushed by Fan on Stage
- Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds Welcome Their Second Child
- Producer Says Daniel Craig Is Still the 'First Choice' for Next James Bond Movie