Brother of 'Harry Potter' Star Afshan Azad Faces Jail
The brother of "Harry Potter" star Afshan Azad is facing a stint behind bars after he admitted to assaulting the actress earlier this year. Azad, who played witch Padma Patil in four of the wizard movies, alleged her two family members attacked her at her home in Manchester, England in May.
Her father Abdul and brother Ashraf were said to have argued with the Muslim star, 22, after overhearing her on the phone to her Hindu boyfriend, demanding that she end the relationship. The argument reportedly escalated and turned violent, with the pair threatening to kill the actress.
Azad later begged prosecutors to drop the death-treat charges against her father and brother and they were both cleared at Manchester Crown Court, England on Monday, December 20. The actress did not attend.
However, Ashraf Azad pleaded guilty to assault occasioning actual bodily harm and has been bailed until sentencing on January 21. Ashraf, who was warned by the judge he could face jail time, has been banned from contacting his sister and from traveling to London, where she now lives.
Judge Roger Thomas QC told him, "Domestic violence can result, even for a man such as you, in imprisonment." Azad's father was bound to keep the peace for 12 months.
- Monsters and War Unleashed in New 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them' Trailer
- Video: Kim Kardashian Ambushed by Gigi Hadid's Attacker in Paris
- Lin-Manuel Miranda Heading to 'SNL' as First-Time Host
- 'Lion King' Gets a Remake From Disney and Jon Favreau
- Robin Hood Confirmed to Return for 'Once Upon a Time' Season 6
- New David Bowie Greatest Hits Album Announced
- The Flash Reunites With Jay Garrick, Teams Up With Tom Felton's Character in Season 3 Photos
- 'Doctor Strange' IMAX Trailer Unveils Avengers Ties. Also Get Details About Rachel McAdams' Role