'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Repealed, Lady GaGa Burst in Tears
Lady GaGa burst into tears when she heard politicians have voted to lift the ban on gay men and women openly serving in the U.S. army - insisting she feels "so proud to be an American". The pop superstar has long campaigned for gay rights and she has been a fierce opponent of the country's controversial Don't Ask, Don't Tell (DADT) policy, which required homosexuals to hide their orientation or risk losing their job.
Politicians in the U.S. Senate repealed the law on Friday, December 17 and GaGa has now spoken of her delight. She took to Twitter.com to post a picture of herself smiling and holding a sign reading, "Full equality", adding in a message, "Can't hold back the tears + pride. We did it! Our voice was heard + today the Senate repealed DADT. A triumph for equality after 17 years... Today I am so proud to be American. I wish I was home so I could throw a Parade. We are on the way... to full equal."
Other stars have joined Gaga in praising the move - Katy Perry wrote on Twitter, "Supporting all our troops!... Congrats 2 US!!! repeal of DADT & 17 years of allowing human rights violations. There's hope after all."
Gay pop star Ricky Martin wrote, "One step closer to equality!! DADT is gone! Historical!", while actor Neil Patrick Harris added, "Don't Ask, Don't Tell repealed! So proud of Congress for making the right decision. Now all soldiers can serve with integrity. A great day!"
More Lady GaGa News
- Henry Cavill's Mustache Will Be Digitally Removed From 'Justice League' Reshoots
- Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee Slam Venezuelan President for Using 'Despacito' as Political Propaganda
- Makeup-Free Kesha Shows Her Freckles in New Selfie
- Jeremy Meeks and Chloe Green Enjoy a Wild Night, 'Heartbroken' Wife Is 'Sick' of His PDA
- Birdman Fires Back After Tyga Claims Cash Money Owes Him $12 Million
- Kevin Hart Considers Renewing Wedding Vows to Eniko Parrish Amid Cheating Rumors
- Netflix Debuts Teaser Trailer for New Margaret Atwood Adaptation, 'Alias Grace'
- Joshep Duggar Shares Romantic Engagement Photos With Fiancee Kendra Caldwell