Aretha Franklin Gave First Interview After Hospital Discharge
Soul legend Aretha Franklin has given her first interview since her release from hospital, insisting she's feeling "great" and is "grateful" to be home for the holidays. The singer underwent "successful" surgery at a hospital in Detroit, Michigan earlier this month to treat an undisclosed ailment, with subsequent reports suggesting she has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.
The 68-year-old star was discharged from hospital this week and has now spoken out in her first interview since her health crisis, revealing she's feeling much better. She tells Jet magazine, "I feel great. The doctors say I can do whatever I feel like I am up to do. Of course, that doesn't mean any concerts or anything like that. But I can do things around the house, and today I am just piddling around the house."
Franklin has yet to confirm the nature her illness, but insists she will talk more about her health problems once she has had time to recover: "This is Aretha time to do whatever it is that I need to do. But I will talk more later."
And the music icon insists she is extremely happy to have been released from hospital in time to spend Christmas with her loved ones, adding: "God has given me the greatest gift already for the holidays. I am so grateful."
- 'Supernatural' Casts David Haydn-Jones as a Mysterious Character
- Lin-Manuel Miranda Releases Tribute Rap for 'The West Wing'
- Kim Kardashian, Kylie and Kendall Jenner Dolled Up for 'Ocean's Eight' Cameo Filming
- Amanda Seyfried Dishes on Upcoming Low-Key Wedding to Thomas Sadoski
- Harley Quinn Might Appear on 'Gotham' Earlier Than Expected
- Soulja Boy Takes a Shot at Chris Brown, 50 Cent, Mike Tyson on New Song 'Stop Playing with Me'
- Is Tina Fey Making 'Mean Girls 2' Without Lindsay Lohan?
- Lady GaGa Builds a Dance Floor in Her Backyard, Shares Crazy Idea for Super Bowl Performance