Matt Lucas Wins Apology From Daily Mail Over 'Grossly Intrusive' Article
British comic Matt Lucas has been awarded damages from bosses at a second U.K. newspaper over an article published in the wake of his ex-husband's sudden death last year. The Little Britain star was devastated when his former partner, Kevin McGee, was found hanged at his Edinburgh, Scotland apartment in October 2009. The couple tied the knot in a civil partnership in 2006 before parting ways in 2008.
Lucas later sued bosses at the Daily Mail for invasion of privacy for a "grossly intrusive" article published last March. His lawyers argued the piece, entitled How Matt Lucas Learnt to Laugh Again, constituted an unlawful intrusion into his grief and suffering.
They also claimed Lucas was not warned about its publication, which they claimed caused him considerable upset and distress. The Press Association reports Lucas has been awarded undisclosed damages and a published apology from the newspaper's editors.
Lucas was awarded damages and an apology from editors at the U.K.'s Daily Star last May for publishing false claims suggesting he had been placed on suicide watch following the tragedy.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Do Have a Pre-Nup. So, Who's the Big Winner?
- 'Thor: Ragnarok': 'Jurassic Park' Star Sam Neill Reveals His Secret Role
- Lindsay Lohan's Ex Egor Denies He's Broke and Let Her Pay for Everything While Still Dating
- 'Last Man on Earth' Premiere Features Surprise Cameo, Stages Mini 'Mad Men' Reunion
- Blac Chyna's Mom Scolds Rob Kardashian, Fears He Will 'Ruin' Their Relationship
- Drake Depicts Violence, Gets Steamy With a Girl in New 'Please Forgive Me' Short Film
- Kendall and Kylie Jenner Get Matching Ferraris. But Why Is One Sister Left Embarrassed?
- Angelina Jolie Reportedly Turns to Johnny Depp Amid Brad Pitt Divorce