Matt Lucas Wins Apology From Daily Mail Over 'Grossly Intrusive' Article
British comic Matt Lucas has been awarded damages from bosses at a second U.K. newspaper over an article published in the wake of his ex-husband's sudden death last year. The Little Britain star was devastated when his former partner, Kevin McGee, was found hanged at his Edinburgh, Scotland apartment in October 2009. The couple tied the knot in a civil partnership in 2006 before parting ways in 2008.
Lucas later sued bosses at the Daily Mail for invasion of privacy for a "grossly intrusive" article published last March. His lawyers argued the piece, entitled How Matt Lucas Learnt to Laugh Again, constituted an unlawful intrusion into his grief and suffering.
They also claimed Lucas was not warned about its publication, which they claimed caused him considerable upset and distress. The Press Association reports Lucas has been awarded undisclosed damages and a published apology from the newspaper's editors.
Lucas was awarded damages and an apology from editors at the U.K.'s Daily Star last May for publishing false claims suggesting he had been placed on suicide watch following the tragedy.
- Derek Hough and Tony Dovolani Not Returning for 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24
- Colton Haynes to Make Live Singing Debut in Tribute Performance for George Michael
- 'Jurassic World 2' First Set Photo Arrives as Filming Begins
- Behati Prinsloo Wows on First Post-Baby Runway Show at Milan Fashion Week
- A Green Lantern Is Reportedly Confirmed in 'Justice League'
- New Photos Seem to Confirm Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus' Romance Rumors
- 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Nick Blood Returning in Season 4?
- Happy 'Twin Peaks' Day! Showtime Unveils Posters for Revival