Winona Ryder Insulted by Mel Gibson at Their First Meeting
Winona Ryder has opened up about a "horrible" encounter with Mel Gibson at a Hollywood party 15 years ago, insisting she saw the troubled actor's dark side but "no one believed" her. The "Braveheart" star has hit headlines throughout the year after his ex-girlfriend alleged he was violent towards her and a number of the former couple's explosive arguments leaked online, with Gibson's rants coming under particular scrutiny.
The now-infamous tapes surfaced three years after he was accused of unleashing his temper during a 2006 DUI arrest and hurling anti-Semitic abuse at a Jewish traffic cop. Ryder met Gibson long before his personal problems became public and the Jewish actress claims she was left aghast when the star allegedly made a series of offensive jokes and drunkenly insulted her religious beliefs.
She tells GQ magazine, "Fifteen years ago, I was at one of those big Hollywood parties. And he was really drunk. I was with my friend, who's gay. (Gibson) made a really horrible gay joke. And somehow it came up that I was Jewish. He said something about 'oven dodgers,' but I didn't get it. I'd never heard that before. It was just this weird, weird moment.... No one believed me!"
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Do Have a Pre-Nup. So, Who's the Big Winner?
- 'Thor: Ragnarok': 'Jurassic Park' Star Sam Neill Reveals His Secret Role
- Lindsay Lohan's Ex Egor Denies He's Broke and Let Her Pay for Everything While Still Dating
- 'Last Man on Earth' Premiere Features Surprise Cameo, Stages Mini 'Mad Men' Reunion
- Blac Chyna's Mom Scolds Rob Kardashian, Fears He Will 'Ruin' Their Relationship
- Drake Depicts Violence, Gets Steamy With a Girl in New 'Please Forgive Me' Short Film
- Kendall and Kylie Jenner Get Matching Ferraris. But Why Is One Sister Left Embarrassed?
- Angelina Jolie Reportedly Turns to Johnny Depp Amid Brad Pitt Divorce