Winona Ryder Insulted by Mel Gibson at Their First Meeting
Winona Ryder has opened up about a "horrible" encounter with Mel Gibson at a Hollywood party 15 years ago, insisting she saw the troubled actor's dark side but "no one believed" her. The "Braveheart" star has hit headlines throughout the year after his ex-girlfriend alleged he was violent towards her and a number of the former couple's explosive arguments leaked online, with Gibson's rants coming under particular scrutiny.
The now-infamous tapes surfaced three years after he was accused of unleashing his temper during a 2006 DUI arrest and hurling anti-Semitic abuse at a Jewish traffic cop. Ryder met Gibson long before his personal problems became public and the Jewish actress claims she was left aghast when the star allegedly made a series of offensive jokes and drunkenly insulted her religious beliefs.
She tells GQ magazine, "Fifteen years ago, I was at one of those big Hollywood parties. And he was really drunk. I was with my friend, who's gay. (Gibson) made a really horrible gay joke. And somehow it came up that I was Jewish. He said something about 'oven dodgers,' but I didn't get it. I'd never heard that before. It was just this weird, weird moment.... No one believed me!"
More Winona Ryder News
- Iron Fist Shows His Martial Art Skills in New Photos of Netflix's Series
- Is Rihanna Not Happy With Beyonce Over Grammy Nominations?
- Wendy Williams Calls Nicki Minaj 'Insensive B***h' for Mocking Mentally Ill Woman
- Lady GaGa Pens 'Inspiring' Open Letter About Her Daily Effort to Battle With PTSD
- 'Bones': What Will Happen to the Jeffersonian? David Boreanaz Shares Photo of Destroyed Lab
- See Tom Hiddleston Accidentally Running Into 'Taylor Swift' During Morning Jog in London
- Andy Cohen Would Like to Hook Up With Justin Bieber
- Chanel Iman Stars in Flo Rida's Flashy Video for 'Zillionaire'