Winona Ryder Insulted by Mel Gibson at Their First Meeting
Winona Ryder has opened up about a "horrible" encounter with Mel Gibson at a Hollywood party 15 years ago, insisting she saw the troubled actor's dark side but "no one believed" her. The "Braveheart" star has hit headlines throughout the year after his ex-girlfriend alleged he was violent towards her and a number of the former couple's explosive arguments leaked online, with Gibson's rants coming under particular scrutiny.
The now-infamous tapes surfaced three years after he was accused of unleashing his temper during a 2006 DUI arrest and hurling anti-Semitic abuse at a Jewish traffic cop. Ryder met Gibson long before his personal problems became public and the Jewish actress claims she was left aghast when the star allegedly made a series of offensive jokes and drunkenly insulted her religious beliefs.
She tells GQ magazine, "Fifteen years ago, I was at one of those big Hollywood parties. And he was really drunk. I was with my friend, who's gay. (Gibson) made a really horrible gay joke. And somehow it came up that I was Jewish. He said something about 'oven dodgers,' but I didn't get it. I'd never heard that before. It was just this weird, weird moment.... No one believed me!"
More Winona Ryder News
- Comic-Con: 'Game of Thrones' Teases Season 7 With Production Video
- 'Kong: Skull Island' Poster Reveals First Look at the Beastly King
- Amber Rose Defends Kanye West Amid Taylor Swift Feud, but Begs Him to 'Stay out of the News'
- Comic-Con: Check Out 'The Walking Dead' Season 7 and 'Fear the Walking Dead' Season 2B Trailers
- 'The Bachelor' Star Chris Soules' Ex Whitney Bischoff Is Engaged Again
- Comic-Con: 'Scream Queens' Stars Share Details of Season 2, Colton Haynes' Cast in Mystery Role
- Dakota Johnson Channels 'Fifty Shades' Character in This Provocative Photo
- Celine Dion Slays Her Impressions of Rihanna, Cher and Sia on 'Tonight Show'