Winona Ryder Insulted by Mel Gibson at Their First Meeting
Winona Ryder has opened up about a "horrible" encounter with Mel Gibson at a Hollywood party 15 years ago, insisting she saw the troubled actor's dark side but "no one believed" her. The "Braveheart" star has hit headlines throughout the year after his ex-girlfriend alleged he was violent towards her and a number of the former couple's explosive arguments leaked online, with Gibson's rants coming under particular scrutiny.
The now-infamous tapes surfaced three years after he was accused of unleashing his temper during a 2006 DUI arrest and hurling anti-Semitic abuse at a Jewish traffic cop. Ryder met Gibson long before his personal problems became public and the Jewish actress claims she was left aghast when the star allegedly made a series of offensive jokes and drunkenly insulted her religious beliefs.
She tells GQ magazine, "Fifteen years ago, I was at one of those big Hollywood parties. And he was really drunk. I was with my friend, who's gay. (Gibson) made a really horrible gay joke. And somehow it came up that I was Jewish. He said something about 'oven dodgers,' but I didn't get it. I'd never heard that before. It was just this weird, weird moment.... No one believed me!"
- Salma Hayek Suggests Donald Trump Tried to Manipulate Her Into Agreeing on a Date
- 'Doctor Strange' Actor Benedict Wong Confirmed for 'Avengers: Infinity Wars'
- Leonardo DiCaprio Had Another Near-Death Experience While Diving in the Galapagos
- Listen to Sia's 3 New Tracks From 'This Is Acting' Deluxe Version
- 'Game of Thrones' Season 7 Set Pics: First Look at Kit Harington in Full Costume
- Donald Glover Officially Cast as Young Lando Calrissian in 'Han Solo' Movie
- Perrie Edwards Was Left Homeless After Nasty Split From Zayn Malik
- Azealia Banks Pens Apology Letter to Zayn Malik