Julie Andrews' Husband Blake Edwards Passed Away at 88
Julie Andrews' husband, "Pink Panther" creator Blake Edwards, has died at the age of 88. The director, writer and producer passed away at St. John's Health Center in Santa Monica, California on Wednesday night, December 15 after suffering complications from pneumonia. His wife and other family members were by his bedside, according to his longtime publicist, Gene Schwam.
Born William Blake Crump in Tulsa, Oklahoma, Edwards began his career as an actor and screenwriter, penning seven scripts for late actor/filmmaker Richard Quine. He landed his big break on Orson Welles' production of War of the Worlds and went on to create screenplays for detective series "Richard Diamond", "Private Detective" and "Peter Gunn". He later established himself as a director, working with Audrey Hepburn to bring Truman Capote's "Breakfast at Tiffany's" to the big screen in 1961, before taking on "Days of Wine and Roses" in 1962.
But he will perhaps be best remembered as the comic genius behind the "Pink Panther" series, teaming up with Peter Sellers for six of the hit movies in the franchise. His other comedy credits include "10", "Victor/Victoria" and "S.O.B.", all starring Andrews, his wife of 41 years. In 2004, he was presented with an Honorary Academy Award in recognition of his extensive body of film work.
Edwards is survived by Andrews, his two children Jennifer and Geoffrey from his first marriage to Patricia Walker, and two adopted kids from Vietnam, Amelia Leigh and Joanna Lynne. He was also stepfather to "The Sound of Music" icon's daughter Emma, from her previous union to Tony Walton.
- P. Diddy Squashes Breakup Rumors With a Super Sweet Birthday Message for Cassie
- Does 'American Horror Story' Reveal the Murder Weapon in This New Season 6 Teaser?
- Taylor Swift Sports Bigger Breasts in Tight Crop-Top. Did She Really Get a Boob Job?
- Get Your First Glimpse of Tom Hardy in Christopher Nolan's WWII Film 'Dunkirk'
- Miley Cyrus Sports New Gold Band on Ring Finger. Is She Secretly Married to Liam Hemsworth?
- Jennifer Lopez Posts Cryptic Message After Breakup as Casper Smart Is Reportedly Still in Denial
- Is Britney Spears' 'Glory' Track 'Liar' About Ex Justin Timberlake?
- Donald Glover Addresses Lando Casting Rumor in Han Solo Movie