Julie Andrews' Husband Blake Edwards Passed Away at 88
Julie Andrews' husband, "Pink Panther" creator Blake Edwards, has died at the age of 88. The director, writer and producer passed away at St. John's Health Center in Santa Monica, California on Wednesday night, December 15 after suffering complications from pneumonia. His wife and other family members were by his bedside, according to his longtime publicist, Gene Schwam.
Born William Blake Crump in Tulsa, Oklahoma, Edwards began his career as an actor and screenwriter, penning seven scripts for late actor/filmmaker Richard Quine. He landed his big break on Orson Welles' production of War of the Worlds and went on to create screenplays for detective series "Richard Diamond", "Private Detective" and "Peter Gunn". He later established himself as a director, working with Audrey Hepburn to bring Truman Capote's "Breakfast at Tiffany's" to the big screen in 1961, before taking on "Days of Wine and Roses" in 1962.
But he will perhaps be best remembered as the comic genius behind the "Pink Panther" series, teaming up with Peter Sellers for six of the hit movies in the franchise. His other comedy credits include "10", "Victor/Victoria" and "S.O.B.", all starring Andrews, his wife of 41 years. In 2004, he was presented with an Honorary Academy Award in recognition of his extensive body of film work.
Edwards is survived by Andrews, his two children Jennifer and Geoffrey from his first marriage to Patricia Walker, and two adopted kids from Vietnam, Amelia Leigh and Joanna Lynne. He was also stepfather to "The Sound of Music" icon's daughter Emma, from her previous union to Tony Walton.
- These Jeffrey Dean Morgan-Jensen Ackles' Tweets Are Perfect 'Walking Dead'-'Supernatural' Crossover
- Is It Really Over? Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban Have Been Living Separately for Months
- Mariah Carey's Split From James Packer Could Ruin Her E! Reality Series
- 'Deadpool 2' Circling 'John Wick' Helmer David Leitch
- Here Are the Pricey Items Tyga Wants From Kylie as Birthday Gifts
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Girls Get Matching Rings and Tattoos to Mark the End of Filming
- Beyonce 'Never Genuinely Liked' Kim and That's Why Their Husbands' Feud Happens
- Jeremy Irons Reveals 'The Batman' Starts Filming Next Summer, Promises 'More of Alfred'