Jon Favreau Explains Further Why He Leaves 'Iron Man 3'
Jon Favreau turned down directing duties on "Iron Man 3" after deciding he wanted to work on a movie which "isn't loaded with built-in expectations". Favreau helped create a hugely successful film franchise, starring Robert Downey Jr. as the comic book superhero, by directing the first two installments and bringing in profits of more than $1 billion.
It was announced earlier this week that the actor/director had walked away from a planned third movie, although no explanation was given for his departure. Favreau has now opened up about his decision to quit, revealing he wanted to focus on a new project rather than a massively-hyped comic book movie.
He tells the Los Angeles Times, "(I wanted to) find something that lights a fire (inside me and will) blow people away, which is easier to do with a project that isn't loaded with built-in expectations..." And it was Favreau's desire to bring Disney attraction the "Magic Kingdom" to life on the big screen which spurred him on to leave "Iron Man 3".
"Between the theme parks and the movies, the Disney iconography was probably the first set of archetypes that I was exposed to. Walt was able to expose me as a child to the full array of emotions, including fear and sorrow. Those movies and attractions haunted my dreams and made a deep impression on me as a child."
But Favreau insists he has nothing but good memories of working on the "Iron Man" films. He adds, "Marvel and I both came of age together. The years that we shared were a pivotal experience. Kevin (Feige, Marvel Studios president) has a firm grasp on the many franchises and how they all interweave and I am happy that I had the opportunity to establish the world that these characters can now play in... I look forward to seeing what others can do playing in the same world."
- P. Diddy Squashes Breakup Rumors With a Super Sweet Birthday Message for Cassie
- Does 'American Horror Story' Reveal the Murder Weapon in This New Season 6 Teaser?
- Taylor Swift Sports Bigger Breasts in Tight Crop-Top. Did She Really Get a Boob Job?
- Get Your First Glimpse of Tom Hardy in Christopher Nolan's WWII Film 'Dunkirk'
- Miley Cyrus Sports New Gold Band on Ring Finger. Is She Secretly Married to Liam Hemsworth?
- Jennifer Lopez Posts Cryptic Message After Breakup as Casper Smart Is Reportedly Still in Denial
- Is Britney Spears' 'Glory' Track 'Liar' About Ex Justin Timberlake?
- Donald Glover Addresses Lando Casting Rumor in Han Solo Movie