Ja Rule Given Extra Time to Complete Work Commitment Before Sent to Jail
Rapper Ja Rule will be able to postpone his two-year jail term for a gun charge until after he's honoured his movie and concert commitments for 2011, according to his lawyer. The "Always on Time" star was hit with a count of attempted criminal possession of a weapon after his chauffeured sports car was pulled over by New York police in 2007 on suspicion of speeding, having a suspended registration and no insurance.
A search of the vehicle allegedly turned up a semi-automatic gun hidden in the rear driver's side door. The hip-hop star, real name Jeffrey Atkins, recently struck a plea deal with prosecutors that would see him plead guilty in exchange for a more lenient sentence and the agreement was made official in court on Monday, December 13.
He is due back before a judge in February 2011, but his lawyer Stacey Richman insists he won't be sent to prison immediately after the hearing. She reveals Ja Rule will be allowed the extra time to complete his work commitments before he has to begin the sentence.
Richman tells XXLMag.com, "It's part of our discussions with the district attorney's office. You have to think whenever you're taking care of a person of this calibre with these type of commitments you have to anticipate their business commitments also."
"We have fought long and hard on the situation and they have agreed in regard to these commitments. I mean he has a film to do. There are certain concerts to do."
- 'The Ring' Prank Is Too Real to Not Be Terrified. See People's Reactions
- First Look at Sebastian Stan in 'I, Tonya' Arrives as Caitlin Carver Joins the Cast
- Furious Chris Brown Hits Back at Aziz Ansari for Comparing Him to Donald Trump
- Michelle Rodriguez Is a Transgender in 'The Assignment' Trailer
- Bella Hadid Gets Frisky in Threesome Photo With Kendall Jenner and Riccardo Tisci
- Alec Baldwin Will Host 'Saturday Night Live' for the 17th Time
- Sabrina Carpenter Slays a Mash-Up of Ed Sheeran's 'Shape of You' and TLC's 'No Scrubs'
- Did Olivia Munn Just Throw Shade at Aaron Rodgers' Family?