Ja Rule Given Extra Time to Complete Work Commitment Before Sent to Jail
Rapper Ja Rule will be able to postpone his two-year jail term for a gun charge until after he's honoured his movie and concert commitments for 2011, according to his lawyer. The "Always on Time" star was hit with a count of attempted criminal possession of a weapon after his chauffeured sports car was pulled over by New York police in 2007 on suspicion of speeding, having a suspended registration and no insurance.
A search of the vehicle allegedly turned up a semi-automatic gun hidden in the rear driver's side door. The hip-hop star, real name Jeffrey Atkins, recently struck a plea deal with prosecutors that would see him plead guilty in exchange for a more lenient sentence and the agreement was made official in court on Monday, December 13.
He is due back before a judge in February 2011, but his lawyer Stacey Richman insists he won't be sent to prison immediately after the hearing. She reveals Ja Rule will be allowed the extra time to complete his work commitments before he has to begin the sentence.
Richman tells XXLMag.com, "It's part of our discussions with the district attorney's office. You have to think whenever you're taking care of a person of this calibre with these type of commitments you have to anticipate their business commitments also."
"We have fought long and hard on the situation and they have agreed in regard to these commitments. I mean he has a film to do. There are certain concerts to do."
- Steven Tyler Confirms Aerosmith's 2017 Farewell Tour
- 'Rogue One' Releases More New Photos. Also Get Detail of Mon Mothma's Bigger Role
- Taylor Swift Flies to U.K. to Meet Tom Hiddleston's Mom. See Picture of Their Happy Outing
- 'Game of Thrones' Season Finale Won't Slow Down the Pace, People Will Die
- Audrina Patridge and Fiance Welcome Baby Girl Kirra Max
- Getting Married? Tyga Calls Kylie Jenner His 'Wifey'
- Christina Aguilera Performs 'Change' on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!' to Support Orlando
- Justin Bieber's Music Video Vixen Xenia Deli, 26, Marries 62-Year-Old Man in Lavish Wedding