Sting, Robert De Niro and More Prevent Stoning of an Iran Woman
Stars including Sting, Robert Redford and Robert De Niro have signed an open letter to Iran's government calling for the release of a woman sentenced to death by stoning. Iranian woman Sakineh Ashtiani, a mum-of-two, made headlines around the world earlier this year when she was ordered to be stoned to death over alleged adultery. The execution was suspended following an international outcry.
Now stars and politicians have called for her release, signing a letter to Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. Published on the front page of Britain's The Times newspaper, the letter reads, "We, the undersigned, call on the government of Iran to release immediately Ms Ashtiani, her son Sajad Ghaderzade, and her lawyer, Javid Houtan Kian, from incarceration."
Other celebrities who have condemned the treatment of Ashtiani and have signed the letter include Mia Farrow and Juliette Binoche.
- Bella Thorne Rises to Stardom in Trailer for 'Famous in Love' From 'Pretty Little Liars' Creator
- Justin Bieber Accidentally Reactivates Instagram Account
- Madonna, Usher and More Stars Pay Tribute to Michael Jackson on His Birthday
- 'Bachelor in Paradise' Recap: More Fights and Departures
- Britney and Beyonce Under Fire for Their VMAs Performances. Plus Get Details on Their Backstage Feud
- Taylor Swift Dismissed From Jury Duty due to Her Ongoing Sexual Abuse Case
- Production on 'The Maze Runner: The Death Cure' to Resume in February 2017
- Blake Lively Hosts Private Baby Shower With Taylor Swift