Sting, Robert De Niro and More Prevent Stoning of an Iran Woman
Stars including Sting, Robert Redford and Robert De Niro have signed an open letter to Iran's government calling for the release of a woman sentenced to death by stoning. Iranian woman Sakineh Ashtiani, a mum-of-two, made headlines around the world earlier this year when she was ordered to be stoned to death over alleged adultery. The execution was suspended following an international outcry.
Now stars and politicians have called for her release, signing a letter to Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. Published on the front page of Britain's The Times newspaper, the letter reads, "We, the undersigned, call on the government of Iran to release immediately Ms Ashtiani, her son Sajad Ghaderzade, and her lawyer, Javid Houtan Kian, from incarceration."
Other celebrities who have condemned the treatment of Ashtiani and have signed the letter include Mia Farrow and Juliette Binoche.
- Bad Blood! Jennifer Aniston and Chelsea Handler Are Feuding
- Amanda Bynes Blacklists Parents as She Relaunches Career
- George Clooney and Amal Are Moving Their Children to L.A. for Safety Reasons
- Hugh Jackman Launches His First Circus in 'The Greatest Showman' Trailer
- Inside J.Lo and Alex Rodriguez's Secret Romantic Proposal in Paris
- Ex-Sistar Member Bora Is Dating Big Star's Feeldog
- The Obamas' Balinese Vacation Pictures: See the Family During Temple Visit and Rafting
- Ritz-Carlton Responds After Leslie Jones Accused It of Racism