Sting, Robert De Niro and More Prevent Stoning of an Iran Woman
Stars including Sting, Robert Redford and Robert De Niro have signed an open letter to Iran's government calling for the release of a woman sentenced to death by stoning. Iranian woman Sakineh Ashtiani, a mum-of-two, made headlines around the world earlier this year when she was ordered to be stoned to death over alleged adultery. The execution was suspended following an international outcry.
Now stars and politicians have called for her release, signing a letter to Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. Published on the front page of Britain's The Times newspaper, the letter reads, "We, the undersigned, call on the government of Iran to release immediately Ms Ashtiani, her son Sajad Ghaderzade, and her lawyer, Javid Houtan Kian, from incarceration."
Other celebrities who have condemned the treatment of Ashtiani and have signed the letter include Mia Farrow and Juliette Binoche.
- Two New Characters on 'The Walking Dead' Season 7 Revealed. Get the Details!
- Khloe Kardashian Tries to 'Move On and Focus on Herself' During Her 'Sad' 32nd Birthday
- Ansel Elgort Is in Talks to Star in 'Dungeons and Dragons' Reboot
- Did Britney Spears Delay Single to Include Sample of Justin Timberlake's 'Cry Me a River'?
- George Clooney Reportedly 'Refused' to Protect Wife Amal From 'Bloodthirsty Terrorists'
- Kylie Jenner Asks Tyga to Move Back Into Her House
- Rihanna Is Unhappy Kanye West Put Her in Bed With Donald Trump and George W. Bush in 'Famous' Video
- Iggy Azalea Gets Thanked for 'Ruining Hip-Hop.' See Her Reaction