Still Sick, Aretha Franklin Plans Spring Comeback
Sick singer Aretha Franklin is refusing to let her mystery illness slow her down and aims to be back on stage in the spring 2011, according to her cousin. The music legend underwent "successful" surgery at a hospital in Detroit, Michigan last week to treat an undisclosed ailment.
Subsequent reports suggest Franklin, 68, has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, and although family members have refused to confirm the nature of the star's illness, her cousin Brenda Corbett reveals the singer is determined to make a full recovery. She tells the Detroit Free Press, "Aretha is doing better than doctors expected. She has a long life in front of her and will be back in concert, on stage, late spring or early summer."
Corbett also insisted Franklin will not discuss the nature of her troubles until she is ready, adding "It's her private business, and she's just not ready to talk about it. Give her time to heal. When people ask for their privacy, respect them for that." Franklin's sister-in-law, Earline Franklin, adds, "Aretha is doing absolutely wonderful. All the prayers and well wishes have supported her, and she's doing well."
The soul singer, who cancelled a number of shows over the summer this year on doctors' orders, is reportedly expected to be released from hospital at this weekend.
More Aretha Franklin News
- 'Rogue One' Releases More New Photos. Also Get Detail of Mon Mothma's Bigger Role
- Taylor Swift Flies to U.K. to Meet Tom Hiddleston's Mom. See Picture of Their Happy Outing
- 'Game of Thrones' Season Finale Won't Slow Down the Pace, People Will Die
- Audrina Patridge and Fiance Welcome Baby Girl Kirra Max
- Getting Married? Tyga Calls Kylie Jenner His 'Wifey'
- Christina Aguilera Performs 'Change' on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!' to Support Orlando
- Justin Bieber's Music Video Vixen Xenia Deli, 26, Marries 62-Year-Old Man in Lavish Wedding
- Mariah Carey Reportedly Wants to Withhold Sex Before Her Wedding