Upset With Tough Movie Rating, Ryan Gosling Blasts 'Black Swan'
Ryan Gosling has accused U.S. film censors of sexual sexism after ratings officials slapped his film "Blue Valentine" with a restrictive NC-17 rating for an oral sex scene, while playing down a similar racy moment in Natalie Portman's new film "Black Swan". The star admits he's "surprised and confused" by the hard rating and he can't understand why Portman's girl-on-girl oral sex didn't attract a similar ruling.
He tells WENN, "There's plenty of oral sex scenes in a lot of movies, where it's a man receiving it from a woman - and they're R-rated. Ours is reversed and somehow it's perceived as pornographic. Black Swan has an oral scene between two women and that's an R rating, but ours is between a husband and his wife and that's NC-17?"
Angry Gosling insists there are many more movies that feature graphic violence and sex scenes that get less restrictive ratings than his new movie. He adds, "You start to think, 'How is it possible that these movies that torture women in a sexual context can have an R rating but a husband and wife making love is inappropriate.' "
"A lot of people think, 'What's the big deal if it's NC-17, the kids under 17 can't see it,' but that's not true. What it really means is it can't play in a major theater chain and you can't have ads for the film on television. It stigmatizes the movie in a big way. What we're really saying is not that our kids can't see this movie but nobody can see this movie unless you live in a big city and there's an art house theater."
More Ryan Gosling News
- Kanye West Robbed, Computers Stolen From His Studio
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Announces Big Reveal on May 31
- Dwayne Johnson Hints at Darker Hobbs in 'Fast and Furious 8' Image
- Paul Bettany Defends Johnny Depp Amid Amber Heard's Domestic Violence Accusations
- Khloe, Kourtney Kardashian, Tyga Celebrate Scott Disick's Birthday in Vegas
- Kate Beckinsale: Michael Bay Was Baffled Because 'My Boobs Weren't Bigger Than My Head'
- 'Maze Runner 3' Pushed Back to 2018 as Dylan O'Brien Is Still on the Mend After On-Set Accident
- PND Serenades Kylie Jenner After She Called Him Out for Deleting Her on Social Media