Pete Doherty Records Song With His New Supergroup to Silent 'X Factor' Winner
Artists including Pete Doherty, The Kooks and Imogen Heap are recording a track of silence in a bid to topple music mogul Simon Cowell's "The X Factor" winner and score a Christmas number one. They will be joined by the Big Pink and Billy Bragg at Dean Street Studios in London on Monday, December 6 to record the silent song, which they hope will clinch the coveted Christmas number one spot in the U.K. and shut out the contestant who wins Cowell's popular TV show on Sunday, December 12.
The stars will do nothing in the studio as they recreate composer John Cage's experimental score 4'33", which featured a silent orchestra. The supergroup's campaign, dubbed Cage Against the Machine, aims to emulate Rage Against the Machine, who outsold "The X Factor" winner Joe McElderry last year.
U.K. DJ Eddy Temple-Morris, who has helped organize the track, says, "We're going to have a drum kit with a few drummers, some bass players, some guitarists. I don't know what the noise will be. I imagine there will be the tweak of a leather jacket, a cough, a snigger, a muffled laugh. You'll hear whatever happens in that room at that time. That's the performance."
Proceeds from the single will be donated to charity. Last month, Radiohead rocker Thom Yorke and superproducer Mark Ronson shot into the U.K. charts with a single featuring two minutes of silence, which benefited members of the armed forces.
- Beyonce Is Making $500K Nursery for Her Unborn Twins
- Mariah Carey Is Spending Too Much Money on Toyboy Bryan Tanaka
- Amber Rose Is Joining Secret Online Dating App
- 'Annabelle' Sequel Gets New Title
- Kim Kardashian Doesn't Want Her Daughter North West to Be Managed by Kris Jenner
- Anne Hathaway's Dress at 'Colossal' Premiere Is So Awkward She Couldn't Sit in It
- Jeremy Renner's Hawkeye May Appear in 'Ant-Man and the Wasp'
- Blac Chyna Believes That Rob Kardashian and Tyga Are Tag Teaming Against Her