Pete Doherty Records Song With His New Supergroup to Silent 'X Factor' Winner
Artists including Pete Doherty, The Kooks and Imogen Heap are recording a track of silence in a bid to topple music mogul Simon Cowell's "The X Factor" winner and score a Christmas number one. They will be joined by the Big Pink and Billy Bragg at Dean Street Studios in London on Monday, December 6 to record the silent song, which they hope will clinch the coveted Christmas number one spot in the U.K. and shut out the contestant who wins Cowell's popular TV show on Sunday, December 12.
The stars will do nothing in the studio as they recreate composer John Cage's experimental score 4'33", which featured a silent orchestra. The supergroup's campaign, dubbed Cage Against the Machine, aims to emulate Rage Against the Machine, who outsold "The X Factor" winner Joe McElderry last year.
U.K. DJ Eddy Temple-Morris, who has helped organize the track, says, "We're going to have a drum kit with a few drummers, some bass players, some guitarists. I don't know what the noise will be. I imagine there will be the tweak of a leather jacket, a cough, a snigger, a muffled laugh. You'll hear whatever happens in that room at that time. That's the performance."
Proceeds from the single will be donated to charity. Last month, Radiohead rocker Thom Yorke and superproducer Mark Ronson shot into the U.K. charts with a single featuring two minutes of silence, which benefited members of the armed forces.
- Derek Hough and Tony Dovolani Not Returning for 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24
- Colton Haynes to Make Live Singing Debut in Tribute Performance for George Michael
- 'Jurassic World 2' First Set Photo Arrives as Filming Begins
- Behati Prinsloo Wows on First Post-Baby Runway Show at Milan Fashion Week
- A Green Lantern Is Reportedly Confirmed in 'Justice League'
- New Photos Seem to Confirm Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus' Romance Rumors
- 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Nick Blood Returning in Season 4?
- Happy 'Twin Peaks' Day! Showtime Unveils Posters for Revival