Pete Doherty Records Song With His New Supergroup to Silent 'X Factor' Winner
Artists including Pete Doherty, The Kooks and Imogen Heap are recording a track of silence in a bid to topple music mogul Simon Cowell's "The X Factor" winner and score a Christmas number one. They will be joined by the Big Pink and Billy Bragg at Dean Street Studios in London on Monday, December 6 to record the silent song, which they hope will clinch the coveted Christmas number one spot in the U.K. and shut out the contestant who wins Cowell's popular TV show on Sunday, December 12.
The stars will do nothing in the studio as they recreate composer John Cage's experimental score 4'33", which featured a silent orchestra. The supergroup's campaign, dubbed Cage Against the Machine, aims to emulate Rage Against the Machine, who outsold "The X Factor" winner Joe McElderry last year.
U.K. DJ Eddy Temple-Morris, who has helped organize the track, says, "We're going to have a drum kit with a few drummers, some bass players, some guitarists. I don't know what the noise will be. I imagine there will be the tweak of a leather jacket, a cough, a snigger, a muffled laugh. You'll hear whatever happens in that room at that time. That's the performance."
Proceeds from the single will be donated to charity. Last month, Radiohead rocker Thom Yorke and superproducer Mark Ronson shot into the U.K. charts with a single featuring two minutes of silence, which benefited members of the armed forces.
- MTV VMAs 2016: Beyonce and Adele Lead Nominations, Nick Jonas Is 'Disappointed' About His Snub
- Rihanna, Kendrick Lamar, Selena Gomez, Metallica to Perform at 2016 Global Citizen Concert
- Rihanna Warns Fans Not to Play Pokemon Go at Her Concert as Beyonce and Adele Face Same Issue
- Disney Plans 'Han Solo' Trilogy With Alden Ehrenreich
- Chrissy Teigen and Kim Kardashian Fought With Their Husbands at Each Other's Wedding
- Karl Urban Debuts His 'Thor: Ragnarok' Look. See His Newly Shaved Head
- Matt Damon and Jimmy Kimmel Go to Couples Therapy Again. Does It Work This Time?
- Jeremy Renner's Ex Claims He Refuses to Pay Child Support