Michael Brea Charged With Second-Degree Murder for Killing His Mother
Actor Michael Brea was arraigned on charges of second-degree murder on Friday, December 3 after his mum was allegedly stabbed to death with a sword. The 31 year old, who once had a small role on "Ugly Betty", wore a light green gown as he was charged while in a hospital prison ward, but he did not speak or enter a plea.
Brea was also charged with criminal possession of a weapon after he was reportedly found holding a large sword in his mum Yannick's New York City apartment last week. The 55 year old was pronounced dead at the scene after she was discovered with severe slashes and cuts on her body.
Brea, who is undergoing a psychiatric evaluation, is being held without bail and is next due in court on December 18, according to the Associated Press. Meanwhile, his family has offered its support, calling him a "compassionate, gentle, intelligent, spiritual and loving man" who is in need of help.
A statement from Brea's relatives reads: "His family and friends know, without question, that Michael was not well in the moments leading to (his mother's) death."
- Fifth Harmony Heats Up the 'DWTS' Stage With Sexy 'All in My Head' Performance
- 'Shield' Actor Michael Jace's Murder Trial Begins, His Chilling Line Before the Shooting Is Revealed
- Teen Choice Awards 2016: 'Civil War' and 'Batman v Superman' Dominate Movie Nomination
- 'The Voice' Crowns the Winner, Cee-Lo Green Returns in Star-Studded Finale
- Check Out Christina Aguilera's Powerful Duet With Ariana Grande on 'The Voice'
- 'Dancing with the Stars' Finale: Who Wins the Mirror Ball Trophy?
- Niall Horan Blasts 'Abusive' Fans Who Keep Him 'Awake at Night'
- New 'Finding Dory' Trailer: Meet the Younger Version of Dory