Voice Behind Dora the Explorer Drops Lawsuit
The teenage actress who voiced children's cartoon character "Dora the Explorer" has withdrawn a lawsuit filed against TV bosses over allegations she was highly underpaid. Caitlin Sanchez, 14, launched a legal battle against executives at Nickelodeon in October, claiming she and her parents were handed "unconscionable" documents to sign when she accepted the role in 2007 and were reportedly cornered into agreeing to the terms without the help of a lawyer.
Her attorney, John Balestriere, argued the actress was seriously underpaid and was not properly compensated for the hours of work she put in recording the voice of the hugely popular Latina character.
In the lawsuit, filed in New York's Manhattan Supreme Court, it was also alleged that Sanchez, who was paid $5,115 per episode, was given a "meager travel stipend of $40 a day", despite being expected to fly around the U.S. to promote the cartoon. But the Sanchez family have since dropped the suit after meeting with bosses at Nickelodeon, MTV Networks and its parent company Viacom International.
Nickelodeon spokesman David Bittler tells The Hollywood Reporter, "After discussion, the suit has been withdrawn. We have always felt, and continue to feel, that Caitlin is a very talented performer. Our intention was always that Caitlin complete the episodes on which she worked and we are pleased that she has agreed to do so."
As WENN went to press, it was not known if a financial settlement was involved.
- Solange Announces New Album 'A Seat at the Table', Reveals Tracklist
- Viola Davis to Lead All-Female Heist Movie From '12 Years a Slave' Director Steve McQueen
- Nick Jonas Gets Cozy With Bikini Hottie in Hawaii
- Brad Pitt Bails on Movie Screening to Focus on 'Family Situation' Amid Angelina Jolie Divorce
- 'The Strain' Renewed for Fourth and Final Season
- Justin Theroux Slams Media for Thrusting Jennifer Aniston Into Brangelina's Divorce
- Gigi Hadid on Fighting Off Her Attacker in Milan: 'I Felt I Was in Danger'
- Video Premiere: Hailee Steinfeld's 'Starving' Ft. Zedd