Britney Spears to Take Legal Action Against Irresponsible Tabloid
Britney Spears' representatives are preparing to launch legal action for defamation against editors at a U.S. tabloid after they published sensational allegations suggesting the pop superstar had been abused by her agent boyfriend Jason Trawick.
The "Toxic" superstar's relationship hit the headlines on Wednesday, December 1 when America's Star magazine ran an article featuring quotes attributed to her ex-husband Jason Alexander, who she was famously married to for just 55 hours in 2004.
In the publication, Alexander reportedly claimed Spears had reached out to him in a desperate plea for help after allegedly suffering a beating at the hands of her new beau in October. He is quoted as saying, "Britney is in an abusive relationship! Britney doesn't know what to do or whom to confide in. I'm really concerned for her..."
Alexander alleged Spears and Trawick's relationship hit rock bottom when she reportedly confronted him about cheating on her with another woman. Audio tapes purportedly featuring the singer speaking to Alexander have since surfaced online, but Spears' publicists have blasted the footage as "so obviously fake as to be laughable".
In a statement, her representatives go on to slam the "irresponsible" tabloid report, insisting the singer has "never" been struck by Trawick. The press release continues: "Suffice it to say, Jason Trawick has never laid a hand on Britney."
"This is just another example of the irresponsible nature of the tabloid media relying on shoddy sources and false information for the sole purpose of selling magazines, without regard to the truth and without regard to who they hurt in the process."
"The statements attributed to Jason Alexander are a complete fabrication as Britney has not had any form of communication with Mr. Alexander in years. These irresponsible statements are defamatory and Britney Spears' legal team will be taking legal action against all of the appropriate parties."
More Britney Spears News
- Jeremih Allegedly Sends a Body Double to Perform for Him in Houston
- Twitter Trolls Respond to Amy Schumer's 'Barbie' Casting With Fat-Shaming Comments
- Kylie Jenner Braves the Cold Weather in Racy Bikini in These Pics
- Naked Jai Courtney Chased 'Suicide Squad' Director Around on Set. See the NSFW Photo!
- Robert Pattinson Is Proud of Kristen Stewart and Is 'Super Impressed' With Her Rolling Stones Video
- Lady GaGa Wants Fans to Join Her at Super Bowl Halftime Show
- Supergirl to Battle Superman's Villain Mr. Mxyzptlk This Season
- J. Cole Disses Fellow Rappers on New Song 'False Prophet'