Britney Spears to Take Legal Action Against Irresponsible Tabloid
Britney Spears' representatives are preparing to launch legal action for defamation against editors at a U.S. tabloid after they published sensational allegations suggesting the pop superstar had been abused by her agent boyfriend Jason Trawick.
The "Toxic" superstar's relationship hit the headlines on Wednesday, December 1 when America's Star magazine ran an article featuring quotes attributed to her ex-husband Jason Alexander, who she was famously married to for just 55 hours in 2004.
In the publication, Alexander reportedly claimed Spears had reached out to him in a desperate plea for help after allegedly suffering a beating at the hands of her new beau in October. He is quoted as saying, "Britney is in an abusive relationship! Britney doesn't know what to do or whom to confide in. I'm really concerned for her..."
Alexander alleged Spears and Trawick's relationship hit rock bottom when she reportedly confronted him about cheating on her with another woman. Audio tapes purportedly featuring the singer speaking to Alexander have since surfaced online, but Spears' publicists have blasted the footage as "so obviously fake as to be laughable".
In a statement, her representatives go on to slam the "irresponsible" tabloid report, insisting the singer has "never" been struck by Trawick. The press release continues: "Suffice it to say, Jason Trawick has never laid a hand on Britney."
"This is just another example of the irresponsible nature of the tabloid media relying on shoddy sources and false information for the sole purpose of selling magazines, without regard to the truth and without regard to who they hurt in the process."
"The statements attributed to Jason Alexander are a complete fabrication as Britney has not had any form of communication with Mr. Alexander in years. These irresponsible statements are defamatory and Britney Spears' legal team will be taking legal action against all of the appropriate parties."
More Britney Spears News
- Find Out How Jaden Smith Tricked His Dad Will Smith Into Letting Him Drink on His Birthday
- Jean-Claude Van Damme Walks Out of TV Interview After Reporter Asks This Question
- Matt Damon Will Take a Break From Acting Next Year
- Kanye West Launches Twitter Rants About Apple and Tidal Beef
- Tyler Posey Clarifies 'I Am Gay' Snapchat Video, Apologizes for Fake Coming Out
- Nick Jonas Offered $2 Million to Perform at RNC
- Director Paul Feig Slams Sony for Deleting 'Ghostbusters' Pro-Hillary Tweet
- 'Game of Thrones' Set to End With Season 8, Spin-Off Plan Confirmed