Ben Affleck Wants a Back Up for Congo Movie
Hollywood star Ben Affleck is struggling to rally support from studio executives to back his plans to make a movie about the troubles in the Democratic Republic of Congo. The actor and director has long been campaigning to raise awareness and aid for the Central African nation and established his own charitable foundation, the Eastern Congo Initiative, earlier this year to help women and children affected by rape and sexual violence.
Affleck reveals he's been wanting to turn the situation in the region into a big screen project - but his ideas have been snubbed by Hollywood heads, reports the AFP. He says, "I would love to make a movie about Congo, but unfortunately I've asked Hollywood folks and they always say, 'Ah, nobody wants to see a movie about Africa'."
"I think that points to this general sense that people sort of tune out, that it doesn't matter. It's also a function of trends and conventional wisdom: if it comes down to a movie with fighting robots or a movie on what's happening in eastern Congo, you're not going to win."
Affleck's comments follow report findings from his foundation officials, who insist U.S. leaders need to take charge of an international effort to help stabilize the eastern Congo, which has been left in ruins following years of conflict.
The report states, "In eastern Congo, conflict and insecurity continue while the guns have fallen silent in other parts. The international community - and the U.S. in particular - must do more to address the challenges in eastern Congo if another failure of humanity is to be averted in Central Africa."
More Ben Affleck News
- Donnie Wahlberg, and Not Kim K., Sets Guiness World Record for Most Selfies in 3 Minutes
- Benedict Cumberbatch Channels Doctor Strange to Diagnose the Avengers in New Promo Clip
- Taylor Swift's Alleged Groping Photo Leaks Despite Sealed by Judge
- Nicole Richie Doesn't Regret Her Wild Past: I Was Just 'Being Me'
- Lady GaGa Makes a Japanese Bride Extra Happy With This Sweet Gesture. Watch It!
- 'Rogue One': Gareth Edwards Teases Ben Mendelsohn's 'Working Class' Character
- Laverne Cox Is a 'Bad B***h,' Slays Nicki Minaj's 'Roman's Revenge' in 'Lip Sync Battle' Clip
- Jack O'Connell to Star as Alexander McQueen in Biopic