Ben Affleck Wants a Back Up for Congo Movie
Hollywood star Ben Affleck is struggling to rally support from studio executives to back his plans to make a movie about the troubles in the Democratic Republic of Congo. The actor and director has long been campaigning to raise awareness and aid for the Central African nation and established his own charitable foundation, the Eastern Congo Initiative, earlier this year to help women and children affected by rape and sexual violence.
Affleck reveals he's been wanting to turn the situation in the region into a big screen project - but his ideas have been snubbed by Hollywood heads, reports the AFP. He says, "I would love to make a movie about Congo, but unfortunately I've asked Hollywood folks and they always say, 'Ah, nobody wants to see a movie about Africa'."
"I think that points to this general sense that people sort of tune out, that it doesn't matter. It's also a function of trends and conventional wisdom: if it comes down to a movie with fighting robots or a movie on what's happening in eastern Congo, you're not going to win."
Affleck's comments follow report findings from his foundation officials, who insist U.S. leaders need to take charge of an international effort to help stabilize the eastern Congo, which has been left in ruins following years of conflict.
The report states, "In eastern Congo, conflict and insecurity continue while the guns have fallen silent in other parts. The international community - and the U.S. in particular - must do more to address the challenges in eastern Congo if another failure of humanity is to be averted in Central Africa."
More Ben Affleck News
- James Corden, Rose Byrne, Daisy Ridley Tapped for Peter Rabbit Movie
- Tom Hanks Crashes Wedding Photo Shoot at Central Park
- Lil Wayne Officiated Same-Sex Wedding in Prison, Found Out Drake Slept With His Girlfriend
- Amy Schumer Snogs Ben Hanisch on Kiss Cam During Mets Game
- Oh Boy! Harry Styles Rocks Three Different Looks for Another Man Magazine
- Taylor Lautner Says Britney Spears Tried to Set Him Up With Her Sister Jamie Lynn
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Do Have a Pre-Nup. So, Who's the Big Winner?
- 'Thor: Ragnarok': 'Jurassic Park' Star Sam Neill Reveals His Secret Role