Lacking in Permits, Madonna's New Fitness Club Could Be Shut Down
Officials in Mexico City are threatening to shut down Madonna's new fitness club because it lacks a security plan and a land use permit. The "Material Girl" hitmaker opened the doors of her first Hard Candy Fitness compound in Mexico City on Monday, November 29.
But studio bosses have failed to obtain all the required documents and have until Friday, December 3 to get a land use permit, or stop all operations, according to Demetrio Sodi, the chief of the Miguel Hidalgo municipality where the gym is located. Sodi told the Spanish-language TV station Televisa on Wednesday, "If they don't have a land use permit, they will not be able to operate."
Sodi explained gym bosses "didn't have any permits" when the facility opened, but he granted a special licence for the inauguration ceremony. He added the gym also needs to present a certificate showing it has parking, although Hard Candy Fitness executives will be allowed to turn in other necessary documents at a later date.
Madonna's Mexican venture is the first step in her plans to take the Hard Candy Fitness brand global - earlier this week, the superstar outlined her hopes to open fitness centers in Argentina, Russia, Brazil and throughout Europe and Asia, reports Reuters. Explaining why she chose to launch in the Mexican capital, she said, "I have a history with Mexico. I have a connection that I have always felt anyways because of my love and interest in (Mexican painter) Frida Kahlo."
More Madonna News
- These Jeffrey Dean Morgan-Jensen Ackles' Tweets Are Perfect 'Walking Dead'-'Supernatural' Crossover
- Is It Really Over? Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban Have Been Living Separately for Months
- Mariah Carey's Split From James Packer Could Ruin Her E! Reality Series
- 'Deadpool 2' Circling 'John Wick' Helmer David Leitch
- Here Are the Pricey Items Tyga Wants From Kylie as Birthday Gifts
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Girls Get Matching Rings and Tattoos to Mark the End of Filming
- Beyonce 'Never Genuinely Liked' Kim and That's Why Their Husbands' Feud Happens
- Jeremy Irons Reveals 'The Batman' Starts Filming Next Summer, Promises 'More of Alfred'