Lacking in Permits, Madonna's New Fitness Club Could Be Shut Down
Officials in Mexico City are threatening to shut down Madonna's new fitness club because it lacks a security plan and a land use permit. The "Material Girl" hitmaker opened the doors of her first Hard Candy Fitness compound in Mexico City on Monday, November 29.
But studio bosses have failed to obtain all the required documents and have until Friday, December 3 to get a land use permit, or stop all operations, according to Demetrio Sodi, the chief of the Miguel Hidalgo municipality where the gym is located. Sodi told the Spanish-language TV station Televisa on Wednesday, "If they don't have a land use permit, they will not be able to operate."
Sodi explained gym bosses "didn't have any permits" when the facility opened, but he granted a special licence for the inauguration ceremony. He added the gym also needs to present a certificate showing it has parking, although Hard Candy Fitness executives will be allowed to turn in other necessary documents at a later date.
Madonna's Mexican venture is the first step in her plans to take the Hard Candy Fitness brand global - earlier this week, the superstar outlined her hopes to open fitness centers in Argentina, Russia, Brazil and throughout Europe and Asia, reports Reuters. Explaining why she chose to launch in the Mexican capital, she said, "I have a history with Mexico. I have a connection that I have always felt anyways because of my love and interest in (Mexican painter) Frida Kahlo."
More Madonna News
- Oscars 2017: 'La La Land' Leads With 14 Nods, 7 Black Actors Are Among 20 Acting Nominees
- 'The Ring' Prank Is Too Real to Not Be Terrified. See People's Reactions
- First Look at Sebastian Stan in 'I, Tonya' Arrives as Caitlin Carver Joins the Cast
- Furious Chris Brown Hits Back at Aziz Ansari for Comparing Him to Donald Trump
- Michelle Rodriguez Is a Transgender in 'The Assignment' Trailer
- Bella Hadid Gets Frisky in Threesome Photo With Kendall Jenner and Riccardo Tisci
- Alec Baldwin Will Host 'Saturday Night Live' for the 17th Time
- Sabrina Carpenter Slays a Mash-Up of Ed Sheeran's 'Shape of You' and TLC's 'No Scrubs'