Michael Jackson's Father Refiles Wrongful Death Lawsuit
Michael Jackson's father Joe has refiled a wrongful death lawsuit in California after a federal judge insisted the case needed to be heard in a state court. Joe Jackson launched legal action against the star's personal physician Dr. Conrad Murray in a federal court in August, accusing him of administering a fatal dose of anesthetic Propofol, which led to Michael's death in June 2009.
Jackson alleges he was being supported by the "Thriller" hitmaker at the time of his passing - a claim which gives him the necessary legal standing to pursue a wrongful death suit. U.S. District Judge John F. Walter ruled in November that some of the legal issues needed to be handled in a state court - and Jackson's lawyer refiled the documents at Los Angeles County Superior Court on Tuesday, November 30, according to TMZ.com.
The lawsuit has also been amended to include Applied Pharmacy Services in Las Vegas, a company which allegedly sold Propofol to Murray. Joe Jackson is said to be seeking damages between $10 million and $500 million in the suit for emotional distress, loss of support and "loss of comfort, aid, society and companionship".
Dr. Murray, who has pleaded not guilty to involuntary manslaughter in the star's death, is set to go on trial in January 2011.
More Michael Jackson News
- 'Game of Thrones' Set Pics: Look Who's Also Back for Season 7!
- Are They Really Dating? Drake Already Introduces Taylor Swift to His Mom
- Ouch, It Looks Painful! Hugh Jackman Suffers Gunshot Wounds in New 'Logan' Image
- Jasmine Tookes to Rock Victoria's Secret New Fantasy Bra. See and Get Details of the $3M Lingerie!
- J.J. Abrams' 'God Particle' Is Reportedly the Next 'Cloverfield' Movie
- Is This What Tom Hiddleston Thinks of Taylor Swift Getting Close With Drake?
- 'Sherlock' Season 4 Gets Premiere Date. Mark Your Calendar!
- Gavin Rossdale Signs Publishing Deal With Roc Nation