Ricky Martin Says Telling His Parents About His Sexual Orientation Was Easy
Ricky Martin was overwhelmed with emotion when he finally revealed his sexuality to his mother and father - because they welcomed the news by expressing their unconditional love for the singer. The "Livin' La Vida Loca" hitmaker 'came out' as a gay man in March after wrestling with his feelings for years, and he admits he was prepared for a difficult talk with his parents when he decided to come clean about his chosen lifestyle.
But he was surprised when his mum and dad revealed they were already aware of his homosexuality. Martin tells U.S. news show Access Hollywood, "(Mum) asked me, 'Baby, are you in love?' And I said, 'Yeah mum, I am in love.' And she asked me, 'Is it a man?' and I thought, 'Wow, this is gonna be easier than what I thought.' And I said, 'Yes mum, it's a man.' "
"I was extremely surprised and then she said, 'Come on, give me a hug. You're my son and I love you, and I will always be here for you.' So it was very beautiful. My father... he kinda told me. I wanted to tell him and he said, 'You don't have to say a word. I love you and I just want you to be happy.' "
More Ricky Martin News
- 'Arrow' Star Stephen Amell Teases the Return of Mystery Character and 'Meaner' Season 5
- Kanye West and Everyone, Including Taylor Swift, Sleep Naked in His 'Famous' Video
- 'Suicide Squad' Director Confirms the Presence of A.R.G.U.S.
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Pixie Haircut at Givenchy Fashion Show With Bella Hadid and More
- Teresa Palmer Finds Someone's Name Carved in New 'Lights Out' Trailer
- Liam Hemsworth Defends His 2012 Engagement to Miley Cyrus
- Jamie Foxx's Wild Night Out: Boozing and Grinding With Mystery Women
- Listen to Jamie Lynn Spears' Comeback Single 'Sleepover'