Former Manager Given OK to Sue Spears Family Over Defamation
Britney Spears' mother has lost her bid to have a defamation lawsuit filed against her by the pop star's former manager Sam Lutfi thrown out of court. Lutfi filed suit against the "Toxic" hitmaker and her parents Jamie and Lynne Spears in February 2009, objecting to controversial comments made in Lynn's 2009 memoir "Through The Storm".
He alleged claims Lynne made in her book, in which she branded him a "fake" and a "predator", subjected him to public ridicule and he sued for defamation, libel, battery, breach of contract, and intentional infliction of emotional distress.
Lynne fought to have the case dismissed citing the U.S. Constitution's freedom of speech, arguing that Lutfi's reputation could not be tarnished any further after he was accused of aiding the singer's downfall, which led to her public breakdown in 2008.
Her argument was rejected by a Los Angeles Superior Court judge in August 2009, and her lawyers appealed the decision in May. But Lynne has lost her appeal - on Tuesday, November 23, officials at the Second District Court of Appeal in Los Angeles ruled Lutfi can proceed with his litigation.
More Britney Spears News
- 'Game of Thrones' Showrunners Help Jimmy Kimmel Poke Fun at Hodor Twist
- Is Marriage on the Cards for Sandra Bullock and Boyfriend Bryan Randall?
- Chloe Grace Moretz Gets New Sweet Tattoo. See the Pic!
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' Star Frank Dillane Arrested Following Altercation With Security Guard
- Katherine Webb and NFL Star Husband AJ McCarron Welcome First Child
- George R. R. Martin Revealed Three Huge Twists to 'Game of Thrones' Producers. What Are They?
- Take a Look at Pink's Awkward Reaction When Her Celebrity Crush Johnny Depp Surprises Her
- Brad Pitt Saves Young Girl From Being Crushed by Excited Fans. See His Heroic Action!