Former Manager Given OK to Sue Spears Family Over Defamation
Britney Spears' mother has lost her bid to have a defamation lawsuit filed against her by the pop star's former manager Sam Lutfi thrown out of court. Lutfi filed suit against the "Toxic" hitmaker and her parents Jamie and Lynne Spears in February 2009, objecting to controversial comments made in Lynn's 2009 memoir "Through The Storm".
He alleged claims Lynne made in her book, in which she branded him a "fake" and a "predator", subjected him to public ridicule and he sued for defamation, libel, battery, breach of contract, and intentional infliction of emotional distress.
Lynne fought to have the case dismissed citing the U.S. Constitution's freedom of speech, arguing that Lutfi's reputation could not be tarnished any further after he was accused of aiding the singer's downfall, which led to her public breakdown in 2008.
Her argument was rejected by a Los Angeles Superior Court judge in August 2009, and her lawyers appealed the decision in May. But Lynne has lost her appeal - on Tuesday, November 23, officials at the Second District Court of Appeal in Los Angeles ruled Lutfi can proceed with his litigation.
More Britney Spears News
- Kylie Jenner Awkwardly Gets Turned Down When Trying to Carry Tyga's Son King Cairo
- Mandy Moore and Milo Ventimiglia Share Adorable 'This Is Us' Family Photos. See Who's Missing
- Ryan Reynolds Wants 'Deadpool' / 'Wolverine' Crossover to Happen
- Kanye West Sports Wedding Ring While Riding BMX Amid Kim Kardashian Divorce Rumors
- Watch Hailee Steinfeld, Fifth Harmony and More Perform at the 2016 Billboard Women in Music
- Reese Witherspoon Teams Up With Nick Kroll for EDM Rendition of 'Shake It Off'
- 'Puff the Magic Dragon' Gets Live-Action/Animated Hybrid Movie
- Mila Kunis Shows Impressive Post-Baby Body After Giving Birth to Son Dimitri