Former Manager Given OK to Sue Spears Family Over Defamation
Britney Spears' mother has lost her bid to have a defamation lawsuit filed against her by the pop star's former manager Sam Lutfi thrown out of court. Lutfi filed suit against the "Toxic" hitmaker and her parents Jamie and Lynne Spears in February 2009, objecting to controversial comments made in Lynn's 2009 memoir "Through The Storm".
He alleged claims Lynne made in her book, in which she branded him a "fake" and a "predator", subjected him to public ridicule and he sued for defamation, libel, battery, breach of contract, and intentional infliction of emotional distress.
Lynne fought to have the case dismissed citing the U.S. Constitution's freedom of speech, arguing that Lutfi's reputation could not be tarnished any further after he was accused of aiding the singer's downfall, which led to her public breakdown in 2008.
Her argument was rejected by a Los Angeles Superior Court judge in August 2009, and her lawyers appealed the decision in May. But Lynne has lost her appeal - on Tuesday, November 23, officials at the Second District Court of Appeal in Los Angeles ruled Lutfi can proceed with his litigation.
More Britney Spears News
- 'Glee' Star Charice Pempengco Changes Name to Jake Zyrus. Is She Transitioning?
- Girls Lined Up to Give Tom Cruise Blow Job on Set of 'Risky Business', Co-Star Reveals
- Courtney Stodden Strips Down to Tiny Underwear to Perform Striptease
- CL's Boobs Almost Pop Out of Her Plunging Black Dress at Chanel Exhibition
- 'Venom' to Feature Carnage as Its Main Villain
- Christina Perri Announces Engagement to Boyfriend Paul Costabile - See the Beautiful Ring!
- Is Kendall Jenner Feuding With Victoria's Secret Models?
- New 'Blade Runner 2049' Featurette Brings Harrison Ford Home, Hints at Uninvited Guest