David Duchovny's Broadway Debut Called 'Bland', 'Dull' and 'Monotonous'
David Duchovny has received a slew of scathing reviews for his Broadway debut - his performance in "The Break of Noon" has been branded "bland", "dull" and "monotonous". "The X Files" star appears in the Neil LaBute play opposite Amanda Peet, who he previously shared the screen with in 2008 movie "The X-Files: I Want to Believe".
But Duchovny's turn in the production, which tells the story of a man who survives a horrific mass shooting, has failed to impress New York's theater critics, who have savaged his performance in a series of negative reviews. Joe Dziemianowicz, of the New York Daily News, writes, "Duchovny's performance is colorless and dull."
"His long opening monologue... has all the dynamism of bland hospital broth. He seems disengaged, even though, ironically, his presence is responsible for the production's extended run." Ben Brantley, of the New York Times, describes the "monotony" of the production, adding "Mr. Duchovny... does admirably by his opening monologue but then fails to find enough variation... to hold our attention, " while the New York Post's Frank Scheck brands Duchovny's performance "bland".
Jeremy Gerard, of Bloomberg, adds, "Duchovny leaves whatever sex appeal (he) might have in that Snuggi... It's a subdued performance, lacking connection to the other characters or the audience... Whether that's from a lack of stage experience or because even he can't believe anybody is buying... the story is hard to say."
More David Duchovny News
- 'Game of Thrones' Showrunners Help Jimmy Kimmel Poke Fun at Hodor Twist
- Is Marriage on the Cards for Sandra Bullock and Boyfriend Bryan Randall?
- Chloe Grace Moretz Gets New Sweet Tattoo. See the Pic!
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' Star Frank Dillane Arrested Following Altercation With Security Guard
- Katherine Webb and NFL Star Husband AJ McCarron Welcome First Child
- George R. R. Martin Revealed Three Huge Twists to 'Game of Thrones' Producers. What Are They?
- Take a Look at Pink's Awkward Reaction When Her Celebrity Crush Johnny Depp Surprises Her
- Brad Pitt Saves Young Girl From Being Crushed by Excited Fans. See His Heroic Action!