Freida Pinto Relived Tortured Youth of the Woman She Portrays as She Watched
"Slumdog Millionaire" star Freida Pinto felt "uncomfortable" filming a harrowing scene for her new movie "Miral" - because the woman she portrays was watching the shoot from the shadows. Rula Jebreal, the real-life orphaned Palestinian girl she plays in the film, was a consultant on set - and she had to relive her tortured youth in Jerusalem in the wake of the first Arab-Israeli war.
Based on her own semi-autobiographical novel, the film features graphic torture scenes which Jebreal experienced. Pinto tells Britain's Daily Telegraph Magazine, "Sometimes it would be a bit daunting to have her around, especially when I filmed the torture scene... I was a bit uncomfortable having Rula there then."
"I just thought, 'They are replaying everything that happened to her, I'm doing it in front of her,' and that didn't feel right. It felt inhuman, almost, making someone watch something so traumatic that they've been through. But, at the same time, I feel having her there after the scene really helped her as well as me."
"I got an insight into her, where I just sensed her bravery in going through what she went through. I asked if she really had scars on her back and she did show them to me. It is not something she shows to everybody."
- P. Diddy Squashes Breakup Rumors With a Super Sweet Birthday Message for Cassie
- Does 'American Horror Story' Reveal the Murder Weapon in This New Season 6 Teaser?
- Taylor Swift Sports Bigger Breasts in Tight Crop-Top. Did She Really Get a Boob Job?
- Get Your First Glimpse of Tom Hardy in Christopher Nolan's WWII Film 'Dunkirk'
- Miley Cyrus Sports New Gold Band on Ring Finger. Is She Secretly Married to Liam Hemsworth?
- Jennifer Lopez Posts Cryptic Message After Breakup as Casper Smart Is Reportedly Still in Denial
- Is Britney Spears' 'Glory' Track 'Liar' About Ex Justin Timberlake?
- Donald Glover Addresses Lando Casting Rumor in Han Solo Movie