Prince William Dubbed Hero After Saving Man on Mountain
British royal Prince William has been hailed a real-life hero after helping to rescue a man stranded on a mountain in Wales, two days after announcing his engagement to Kate Middleton. The 28-year-old heir returned to work as a helicopter rescue pilot for the Royal Air Force immediately after revealing his plans to wed on Tuesday, November 16 - and one of his team's first call outs on Thursday saw them come to the aid of Greg Watkins, who had suffered a suspected heart attack on Mount Snowdon, the highest peak in Wales.
The Prince's four-man crew managed to lift Watkins to safety in wet and windy conditions and he has expressed his gratitude to the young royal and his colleagues. Watkins tells Britain's Sunday Mirror newspaper, "If it wasn't for him and the rest of his crew, I'd be dead."
"He'd probably say he was just doing his job but, to me, he and his crew are heroes. The weather was appalling up on that mountain. How he managed to get the helicopter so close defies belief. The fog was so thick at times, you couldn't see your hand in front of your face. The rain was lashing down and it was howling a gale."
And Watkins admits it took him a while to realize it had been the Prince at the controls of the chopper: "I didn't know Prince William was flying the helicopter until we landed at the hospital. Even then, I felt too unwell for it to register much."
"I'd only been watching him announce the engagement on television with Kate a few hours earlier - it was his first mission since going back to work. I feel lucky to be alive but even luckier to have been rescued by the future king."
More Prince William News
- Bella Thorne Rises to Stardom in Trailer for 'Famous in Love' From 'Pretty Little Liars' Creator
- Justin Bieber Accidentally Reactivates Instagram Account
- Madonna, Usher and More Stars Pay Tribute to Michael Jackson on His Birthday
- 'Bachelor in Paradise' Recap: More Fights and Departures
- Britney and Beyonce Under Fire for Their VMAs Performances. Plus Get Details on Their Backstage Feud
- Taylor Swift Dismissed From Jury Duty due to Her Ongoing Sexual Abuse Case
- Production on 'The Maze Runner: The Death Cure' to Resume in February 2017
- Blake Lively Hosts Private Baby Shower With Taylor Swift