Surrendering to Police, Wesley Snipes 'in Transit' to Prison
Wesley Snipes has turned himself into authorities and is on his way to prison after a judge ordered him to surrender and begin serving his three-year sentence for tax evasion. The "Blade" star, 48, has spent the past two years fighting his 2008 conviction, which found him guilty of failing to file returns or pay tax on earnings of $38 million, dating back to 1999.
He lost an appeal in July this year, but U.S. District Court Judge Terrell Hodges granted him a sentence postponement pending a retrial hearing this month. In a Florida court last week, Snipes' lawyer Daniel Meachum maintained jurors in the 2008 trial had been biased against the star, amid allegations three members of the jury had made up their minds about the case before the court battle began.
But Judge Hodges rejected the argument and on Friday, November 19 demanded Snipes report to Florida cops immediately to begin serving time behind bars. And the Federal Bureau of Prisons website indicates Snipes surrendered to police on Monday and is currently "in transit" to a detention center.
Meachum revealed at the weekend the actor was "disappointed" by the "shocking" judgement, but added, "Wesley is... staying strong and positive."
- Jimmy Kimmel Breaks Down Oscar Mix-Up: How Denzel Washington Helped Save the Day
- Get a Look at New 'Wonder Woman' Cool Photos and Concept Art
- Which Green Lantern Member to Appear in 'Justice League' Allegedly Revealed
- Ashley Tisdale Claps Back at Fat-Shamers Saying She Looks Pregnant
- Kylie Jenner and Tyga's Wedding Is Going to Get Spin-Off Series
- Josh Hartnett and Girlfriend Expecting Baby No. 2 - See Her Baby Bump at Oscars After-Party
- Kong Destroys Helicopters and Kills Skull Crawlers in Final 'Kong: Skull Island' Trailer
- Halle Berry Skinny-Dipping in the Night After Oscars. Watch the Video!