Surrendering to Police, Wesley Snipes 'in Transit' to Prison
Wesley Snipes has turned himself into authorities and is on his way to prison after a judge ordered him to surrender and begin serving his three-year sentence for tax evasion. The "Blade" star, 48, has spent the past two years fighting his 2008 conviction, which found him guilty of failing to file returns or pay tax on earnings of $38 million, dating back to 1999.
He lost an appeal in July this year, but U.S. District Court Judge Terrell Hodges granted him a sentence postponement pending a retrial hearing this month. In a Florida court last week, Snipes' lawyer Daniel Meachum maintained jurors in the 2008 trial had been biased against the star, amid allegations three members of the jury had made up their minds about the case before the court battle began.
But Judge Hodges rejected the argument and on Friday, November 19 demanded Snipes report to Florida cops immediately to begin serving time behind bars. And the Federal Bureau of Prisons website indicates Snipes surrendered to police on Monday and is currently "in transit" to a detention center.
Meachum revealed at the weekend the actor was "disappointed" by the "shocking" judgement, but added, "Wesley is... staying strong and positive."
- Khloe Kardashian Divorces Lamar Odom to Find New Husband and Have Kids
- Amy Schumer Mocks Selena Gomez and 'Relatable' Stars in Hilarious Skit. Watch Selena's Response
- 'Fast 8' Cast Goofing Around During First Day on Set
- Taylor Lautner Laughs So Hard at His Naked 'Twilight' Fan Art
- Nick Jonas Reveals He Doesn't Talk to Exes Olivia Culpo and Miley Cyrus Anymore
- Trailer of James Franco's Twisted 'Mother, May I Sleep with Danger?' Remake Is Here!
- 'Glee' Alum Mark Salling Indicted on Child Pornography Charges
- Check Out New 'Star Trek Beyond' Photos