Jay-Z Enjoyed Doing Drug Dealing
Jay-Z has fond memories of his years as a drug dealer on the streets of New York - insisting he had "fun" selling crack cocaine. The "99 Problems" hitmaker started peddling illegal substances at the age of 12 as he grew up in a tough area of Brooklyn, but finally turned his back on the trade when his rap career took off.
And he is adamant supplying crack on street corners was "usually" enjoyable, comparing it to socializing with colleagues around an office watercooler. In his memoirs, "Jay-Z Decoded", the rapper writes, "It may sound strange, but it was usually a fun way to spend time. I got to hang out on the block with my crew, talking, cracking jokes. You know how people in office jobs talk at the watercooler? This job was almost all watercooler."
"But when you weren't having fun, it was hell. I got out just in time. Some of my best friends weren't so lucky."
More Jay-Z News
- First Look at Lumiere, Cogsworth, Gaston and Le Fou in 'Beauty and the Beast'
- Julianne Hough and Derek Hough to Return for 'DWTS' Season 23
- Sam Mendes in Talks to Direct Disney's 'James and the Giant Peach'
- 'Veep' Star Anna Chlumsky Gives Birth to Her Second Child
- Producer Defends Frank Ocean for Self-Releasing 'Blonde' Album, Slams Def Jam
- Kanye West and Kim Kardashian Give Paparazzi Free Yeezy Sneakers
- Drake Announces Short Movie 'Please Forgive Me' - Get a Sneak Peek Here!
- Katy Perry Feels Sympathy for 'Catfish' Victim Who Thought He Was Dating Her