Jay-Z Enjoyed Doing Drug Dealing
Jay-Z has fond memories of his years as a drug dealer on the streets of New York - insisting he had "fun" selling crack cocaine. The "99 Problems" hitmaker started peddling illegal substances at the age of 12 as he grew up in a tough area of Brooklyn, but finally turned his back on the trade when his rap career took off.
And he is adamant supplying crack on street corners was "usually" enjoyable, comparing it to socializing with colleagues around an office watercooler. In his memoirs, "Jay-Z Decoded", the rapper writes, "It may sound strange, but it was usually a fun way to spend time. I got to hang out on the block with my crew, talking, cracking jokes. You know how people in office jobs talk at the watercooler? This job was almost all watercooler."
"But when you weren't having fun, it was hell. I got out just in time. Some of my best friends weren't so lucky."
More Jay-Z News
- Watch: Louis Tomlinson Performs 'Just Hold On' in Honor of His Late Mother
- Jennifer Lawrence Apologizes to Hawaiian People for Joking About Sacred Rocks
- Tim Miller Opens Up on Why He Left 'Deadpool 2'
- Donald Trump Clarifies 'Apprentice' Rumors, Insists He Will Devote 'Zero Time' to the Show
- Tom Holland Enrolled in High School Under Fake Name for 'Spider-Man: Homecoming'
- Kylie Jenner Awkwardly Gets Turned Down When Trying to Carry Tyga's Son King Cairo
- Mandy Moore and Milo Ventimiglia Share Adorable 'This Is Us' Family Photos. See Who's Missing
- Ryan Reynolds Wants 'Deadpool' / 'Wolverine' Crossover to Happen