Jay-Z Feared He Would Be Locked Up for Life After Shooting Brother
Jay-Z has opened up for the first time about the day he shot his older brother, revealing he felt his life was "over" even though he was still just a boy. Jay-Z, real name Shawn Corey Carter, grew up in a tough housing project in Brooklyn, New York and was just 12 when he pulled the trigger on his sibling Eric.
The rapper was furious after discovering his brother, who was addicted to crack cocaine at the time, had stolen his ring so he found a gun and decided to take revenge. But he admits he was "terrified" after the shooting and feared he would be locked up for life.
He tells Britain's Guardian Weekend magazine, "I went to someone's crib, someone's house, and got (a gun). Guns were everywhere. You didn't have to go far to get one. Just everywhere... I thought my life was over (after the shooting). I thought I'd go to jail for ever. It was terrible. I was a boy, a child. I was terrified."
Eric, who is now clean, didn't press charges and offered Carter an apology from his hospital bed after the shooting.
More Jay-Z News
- Selena Gomez Has Lunch Date With The Weeknd After Celebrating Birthday Without Him
- Newlyweds Kate Mara and Jamie Bell Flaunt Wedding Rings in Cute Pic
- 'Game of Thrones' 7.03 Preview: Jon Snow Meets Daenerys
- Jay-Z Spends Second Week Atop Billboard 200 With '4:44', French Montana Debuts at No. 3
- Box Office: 'Dunkirk' and 'Girls Trip' Exceed Expectations, 'Valerian' Bombs
- Kylie Jenner's Snapchat Is Hacked, Culprit Threatens to Expose Nude Photos of 'KUWTK' Star
- Frank Ocean Brings Out Brad Pitt During Captivating Performance at FYF Festival
- Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo Are Asked to Tie the Knot at 'DotS' Theme Park