Jay-Z Feared He Would Be Locked Up for Life After Shooting Brother
Jay-Z has opened up for the first time about the day he shot his older brother, revealing he felt his life was "over" even though he was still just a boy. Jay-Z, real name Shawn Corey Carter, grew up in a tough housing project in Brooklyn, New York and was just 12 when he pulled the trigger on his sibling Eric.
The rapper was furious after discovering his brother, who was addicted to crack cocaine at the time, had stolen his ring so he found a gun and decided to take revenge. But he admits he was "terrified" after the shooting and feared he would be locked up for life.
He tells Britain's Guardian Weekend magazine, "I went to someone's crib, someone's house, and got (a gun). Guns were everywhere. You didn't have to go far to get one. Just everywhere... I thought my life was over (after the shooting). I thought I'd go to jail for ever. It was terrible. I was a boy, a child. I was terrified."
Eric, who is now clean, didn't press charges and offered Carter an apology from his hospital bed after the shooting.
More Jay-Z News
- Kristin Cavallari Will Not Watch 'The Hills' Re-Runs Because It's 'Brutal'
- Kirsten Storms Breaks Silence on Her Temporary 'General Hospital' Leave
- Jesse Eisenberg Confirms He Will Return for 'Justice League'
- Sam Mendes Confirms He Won't Direct the Next James Bond Movie
- Keira Knightley's Acting in 'Begin Again' Gets Criticized by Director
- Gwen Stefani and Blake Shelton Take Her Birthday Son to Indianapolis 500
- Ariana Grande Cancels Rock in Rio Performance Due to Throat and Sinus Infection
- Johnny Depp's Ex Vanessa Paradis and Daughter Lily-Rose Defend Him Amid Amber Heard Drama