Jay-Z Feared He Would Be Locked Up for Life After Shooting Brother
Jay-Z has opened up for the first time about the day he shot his older brother, revealing he felt his life was "over" even though he was still just a boy. Jay-Z, real name Shawn Corey Carter, grew up in a tough housing project in Brooklyn, New York and was just 12 when he pulled the trigger on his sibling Eric.
The rapper was furious after discovering his brother, who was addicted to crack cocaine at the time, had stolen his ring so he found a gun and decided to take revenge. But he admits he was "terrified" after the shooting and feared he would be locked up for life.
He tells Britain's Guardian Weekend magazine, "I went to someone's crib, someone's house, and got (a gun). Guns were everywhere. You didn't have to go far to get one. Just everywhere... I thought my life was over (after the shooting). I thought I'd go to jail for ever. It was terrible. I was a boy, a child. I was terrified."
Eric, who is now clean, didn't press charges and offered Carter an apology from his hospital bed after the shooting.
More Jay-Z News
- Scott Eastwood Is in Talks to Star in 'Pacific Rim 2'
- Video: Chris Brown Throws a Fan's Phone Used to Film Him at a Club
- 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' Season 4 Casting News Fuels the Ghost Rider Speculation
- 'Quantico' Beauty Priyanka Chopra Reveals She Has 'Never Dated.' Here's Why
- Drake Says His Heart's Broken by Rihanna as They Spark New Dating Rumor in London
- First Look at Matthew McConaughey as Man in Black on 'The Dark Tower' Set
- Fergie Debuts 'M.I.L.F. $'. Listen to the Empowering New Track!
- Nicki Minaj Goes Braless and Flashes Ample Boob in This Photo