Jay-Z Feared He Would Be Locked Up for Life After Shooting Brother
Jay-Z has opened up for the first time about the day he shot his older brother, revealing he felt his life was "over" even though he was still just a boy. Jay-Z, real name Shawn Corey Carter, grew up in a tough housing project in Brooklyn, New York and was just 12 when he pulled the trigger on his sibling Eric.
The rapper was furious after discovering his brother, who was addicted to crack cocaine at the time, had stolen his ring so he found a gun and decided to take revenge. But he admits he was "terrified" after the shooting and feared he would be locked up for life.
He tells Britain's Guardian Weekend magazine, "I went to someone's crib, someone's house, and got (a gun). Guns were everywhere. You didn't have to go far to get one. Just everywhere... I thought my life was over (after the shooting). I thought I'd go to jail for ever. It was terrible. I was a boy, a child. I was terrified."
Eric, who is now clean, didn't press charges and offered Carter an apology from his hospital bed after the shooting.
More Jay-Z News
- P. Diddy Throws Star-Studded Birthday Party for Girlfriend Cassie
- Kim Kardashian Says Kendall Jenner Is Banned by Uber, the Company Responds
- J Balvin Survives Plane Crash in Bahamas
- Luke Cage Reveals the Downside of Being Bulletproof in First Clip
- Justin Bieber and Sofia Richie Jet Off for Romantic Getaway Ahead of MTV VMAs
- Britney Spears Calls 'Carpool Karaoke' With James Corden 'Awkward'
- Taylor Swift Naked Wax Figure Displayed at Kanye West's 'Famous' Art Exhibit
- Tom Hiddleston's Instagram Gets Hacked