Wesley Snipes Remains Strong Ahead of Jail Sentence
Actor Wesley Snipes is remaining "strong and positive" ahead of his three-year jail sentence for tax evasion, according to his lawyer. The "Blade" star was found guilty of failing to file returns when he stood trial in 2008, but his lawyers appealed the verdict and he was freed on bail to challenge the ruling.
He lost the appeal in July and was due to surrender to authorities on September 2 - but U.S. District Court Judge Terrell Hodges granted him a postponement pending a retrial hearing this month. On Tuesday, November 16, Snipes' lawyer Daniel Meachum argued jurors in the 2008 trial had been biased against the star, amid allegations three members of the jury had made up their minds about the case before the court battle began.
Judge Hodges rejected the case for a new trial on Friday and Snipes was told he must turn himself in to federal authorities immediately to begin serving his sentence. The actor is "disappointed" about the "shocking" judgment - but is refusing to be downbeat about his impending prison term. Meachum tells the Orlando Sentinel, "It is just shocking. Wesley is very disappointed but staying strong and positive."
- Gigi Hadid's Family Wants Her to Dump Zayn Malik Because of This
- Is Destiny's Child Reunion Happening? Here's What Kelly Rowland Says
- Kim Kardashian's Sex Tape Turned Into Virtual Reality Experience
- 'Game of Thrones' Set Photos: Jon Snow Reunites With an Old Friend and It's Doesn't Look Friendly
- Jennifer Lawrence Was 'Stressed Out' When Dating Chris Martin, Is Happier With Darren Aronofsky
- Blake Lively Celebrates Ryan Reynolds' 40th Birthday Amid Physical Abuse Allegations
- Justin Bieber Extends 'Purpose World Tour' After Storming Off Stage Mid-Performance
- Ice Cube and 'Hamilton' Helmer Team Up for 'Oliver Twist' Musical at Disney