The Who's Roger Daltrey Blasts Simon Cowell's Shows
Roger Daltrey is the latest rocker to take aim at Simon Cowell over his U.K. talent show "The X Factor" - branding the hit show a "slump" the music industry must recover from. The Who legend's rant follows Sir Elton John's recent outburst, in which he branded the talent show "a**e-paralyzingly brain crippling".
Madness star Suggs, Suede's Brett Anderson and New Order rocker Bernard Sumner have also recently lined up to blast Cowell. Daltrey claims Cowell has "belittled" music by manufacturing pop stars on his series - and he's convinced rock icons The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and his own band would never have passed the audition stage of the contest.
He tells Britain's The Sun, "We really need to break away from 'The X Factor' and 'American Idol' - that Simon Cowell thing. I really think the music industry will beat this slump and come back stronger."
"Groups like The Who, The Rolling Stones and The Beatles wouldn't have made it past the audition stage, let alone be shown on TV. That's the joke of it. The music they make on the shows is absolute tripe. He's made a good industry out of it, but it's belittled the power of music. He wouldn't know what the 'X Factor' was if it bit him on the b**locks."
- Cuba Gooding Jr. Generates Online Outrage After Lifting Up Sarah Paulson's Skirt at PaleyFest
- New Footage of 'Blade Runner 2049' Is Screened at CinemaCon
- Nina Agdal Flaunts Her Enviable Figure in Skimpy Bikinis for New Swimwear Campaign
- Matthew Morrison Joins 'Grey's Anatomy' in Mystery Role. Get the First Look
- Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey Confront Each Other in 'The Dark Tower' First Footage
- Kris Jenner's 'Desperate to Hook Up' With O.J. Simpson. What About Toy Boy Corey Gamble?
- The Weeknd Secretly Serenades Selena Gomez at Brazilian Concert Backstage
- 'Arrow': Katie Cassidy Returns for Season 6 as Series Regular With a Twist