Prince William Gave Kate Middleton Chance to Back Out
Prince William stalled the announcement of his engagement to longtime girlfriend Kate Middleton to give his bride-to-be the chance to back out of becoming a member of Britain's royal family. The prince proposed to Middleton in Kenya last month and chose to keep the news away from the media until Tuesday, November 16 to allow his former university sweetheart to fully understand what marrying him entailed.
In the couple's first official TV interview since the big announcement, William says, "We've been talking about it for a long time, so, for us, it's a real relief and it's really nice to be able to tell everybody."
"The last two or three weeks, it's been quite difficult not telling anyone and keeping it to ourselves for reasons we have to... I wanted to give her a chance to back out if she needed to before it all got too much... I just wanted to give her the best chance to settle in."
William admits he defied tradition and asked Middleton to be his wife before seeking her father's consent - because he wasn't sure his new fiancee would say yes. The couple plans to wed in 2011.
- G-Dragon Promises Big Bang Will Reunite as 5 Members
- Jay Park Signs With Roc Nation
- Justin Bieber Banned From China Over His 'Bad Behavior'
- Kim Kardashian Is 'Furious' After Video of Her Partying Hard Exposed
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Tasha McCauley Welcome Second Child
- Celebrities Who Regret Getting Plastic Surgery
- JYJ's Park Yoochun's Fiancee Allegedly Wants to Break Off Engagement
- Kingsman Teams Up With Statesman in New 'The Golden Circle' Red Band Trailer