Prince William Gave Kate Middleton Chance to Back Out
Prince William stalled the announcement of his engagement to longtime girlfriend Kate Middleton to give his bride-to-be the chance to back out of becoming a member of Britain's royal family. The prince proposed to Middleton in Kenya last month and chose to keep the news away from the media until Tuesday, November 16 to allow his former university sweetheart to fully understand what marrying him entailed.
In the couple's first official TV interview since the big announcement, William says, "We've been talking about it for a long time, so, for us, it's a real relief and it's really nice to be able to tell everybody."
"The last two or three weeks, it's been quite difficult not telling anyone and keeping it to ourselves for reasons we have to... I wanted to give her a chance to back out if she needed to before it all got too much... I just wanted to give her the best chance to settle in."
William admits he defied tradition and asked Middleton to be his wife before seeking her father's consent - because he wasn't sure his new fiancee would say yes. The couple plans to wed in 2011.
- Bob Dylan Called 'Arrogant' for Ignoring Nobel Prize Win
- 'Doctor Strange' Star Tilda Swinton Wants Her Own Marvel Movie
- Jay-Z Makes History as Nominee for 2017 Songwriters Hall of Fame
- Police Called to Larsa and Scottie Pippen's House Before Divorce Announcement
- Did Madonna Just Clap Back at Lady GaGa With This Meme?
- Leonardo DiCaprio to Play the Man Who Invented Rock and Roll in Sam Phillips Biopic
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to Sell Their Chateau Miraval in France Amid Divorce
- Director Tim Miller Leaves 'Deadpool 2' Due to Creative Differences