Prince William Gave Kate Middleton Chance to Back Out
Prince William stalled the announcement of his engagement to longtime girlfriend Kate Middleton to give his bride-to-be the chance to back out of becoming a member of Britain's royal family. The prince proposed to Middleton in Kenya last month and chose to keep the news away from the media until Tuesday, November 16 to allow his former university sweetheart to fully understand what marrying him entailed.
In the couple's first official TV interview since the big announcement, William says, "We've been talking about it for a long time, so, for us, it's a real relief and it's really nice to be able to tell everybody."
"The last two or three weeks, it's been quite difficult not telling anyone and keeping it to ourselves for reasons we have to... I wanted to give her a chance to back out if she needed to before it all got too much... I just wanted to give her the best chance to settle in."
William admits he defied tradition and asked Middleton to be his wife before seeking her father's consent - because he wasn't sure his new fiancee would say yes. The couple plans to wed in 2011.
- Kristen Stewart In Talks for Fox's Thriller 'Underwater'
- 'The Predator' Reboot Adds 'Chuck' Alum Yvonne Strahovski
- Nick Cannon Introduces Newborn Baby Boy Golden 'Sagon'
- Jamie Chung to Play Blink in FOX's 'X-Men' Pilot
- Racist Men Charged for Hurling N-Word at Jamie Foxx
- Cate Blanchett Turns Into a Drag Queen for Charity
- See Mindy Transforming Into a Handsome White Man on 'The Mindy Project'
- Video of Harrison Ford Flying Over Commercial Plane Emerges