Prince William Gave Kate Middleton Chance to Back Out
Prince William stalled the announcement of his engagement to longtime girlfriend Kate Middleton to give his bride-to-be the chance to back out of becoming a member of Britain's royal family. The prince proposed to Middleton in Kenya last month and chose to keep the news away from the media until Tuesday, November 16 to allow his former university sweetheart to fully understand what marrying him entailed.
In the couple's first official TV interview since the big announcement, William says, "We've been talking about it for a long time, so, for us, it's a real relief and it's really nice to be able to tell everybody."
"The last two or three weeks, it's been quite difficult not telling anyone and keeping it to ourselves for reasons we have to... I wanted to give her a chance to back out if she needed to before it all got too much... I just wanted to give her the best chance to settle in."
William admits he defied tradition and asked Middleton to be his wife before seeking her father's consent - because he wasn't sure his new fiancee would say yes. The couple plans to wed in 2011.
More Prince William News
- Harley Quinn and The Joker Sport Very Different Tattoos in Early 'Suicide Squad' Concept Art
- 'Gotham': Cameron Monaghan Teases Disfigured Jerome With These Photos
- Spoiler Alert! 'Arrow' Showrunner Unveils Season 5 Finale Scene
- Trouble in Paradise? Jennifer Aniston's 'Tired' Justin Theroux Chooses His Career Over Her
- The Rock Has Some Epic Fights in New 'Jumanji' On-Set Photos
- Lady GaGa Causes Twitter Frenzy With Her 'Unrecognizable' Face on 'X Factor'
- New 'The Flash' Set Photos Reveal New Villain and a Mysterious Character
- Report: 'Game of Thrones' Books UFC Fighter Conor McGregor for Upcoming Season