Prince William Kept Engagement Ring in His Backpack Before Proposing
Romantic British royal Prince William carried his late mother's engagement ring around Africa with him in a rucksack for two weeks before proposing to girlfriend Kate Middleton last month. The couple announced its engagement via Twitter.com on Tuesday, November 16 and then staged a photocall/press conference to show off the diamond-and-sapphire ring and talk about the engagement.
And, during the couple's first official TV interview as bride and groom-to-be, William revealed he nervously carried the gem around Africa before asking Middleton to be his wife in Kenya. He said, "I was carrying it around with me in my rucksack for about three weeks before that and I literally would not let it go; everywhere I went I was keeping hold of it because I knew if this thing disappeared I'd be in a lot of trouble."
"I planned it (proposal) and it went fine. You hear a lot of horror stories about proposing and things going horribly wrong, but it went really, really well and I was really pleased she said yes." And Middleton accepts it's now her responsibility to look after the ring, which William's father Prince Charles placed on his late wife Diana's finger when he asked her to be his wife.
She explained, "I just hope I look after it." The new royal admitted in the interview that she had no idea she would return from Africa with an engagement ring on her finger. She said, "We were out with other friends and things, so I really didn't expect it at all... It was a total shock when it came and I was very excited." The couple will wed next year.
- See Tyler Hoechlin's Superman in Action in 'Supergirl' Set Videos
- Did Tyler Posey Just Come Out as Gay on Snapchat?
- Fans Defend Malia Obama Amidst Backlash for Attending Lollapalooza Instead of DNC
- Watch Kanye West and Kim Kardashian Shed Tears in 'Wolves' Music Video
- Amber Rose Reveals Wiz Khalifa Puts His Sperm on Her Face While They're Having Sex
- Emma Roberts Is Mad Diva in 'Scream Queens' Season 2 Promo
- Katy Perry Credits Boyfriend Orlando Bloom for Helping Write Her DNC Speech
- Disney Gives 'Rocketeer' a Reboot With Exciting Twist - Get the Deets Here!