Nina Simone's Daughter Slams Mary J. Blige for Labeling Her Mother 'Drug Addict'
The daughter of jazz great Nina Simone has taken aim at Mary J. Blige for labeling her mother a "drug addict", insisting the R&B superstar needs to do more research before she portrays the icon in an upcoming biopic. The "Family Affair" singer has been cast in the lead role in a movie adaptation of Cynthia Mort's "Nina", which focuses on Nina's relationship with her assistant Clifton Henderson.
Mary recently claimed she was perfect for the role because of the similarities between her and Nina, pinpointing the likeness between her own past with substance abuse and the late star's rumored struggle. But her comments have riled Nina's singer daughter Simone, reports Hip-Hop Weekly magazine.
She says, "All I can say is, if you're going to do a movie about a great public figure, I think it behooves you as a person who's decided this is what they wanna do, to do their due research so that you can embody the character and bring the most that you can of their personality to the screen. After having read Mary J. Blige's comments, that just kinda capped off (in my mind) that I don't think that's been done."
More Mary J. Blige News
- Watch Charlie Puth's Sexy Music Video for 'Attention'
- Real-Life Vigilante! Tom Hardy Goes Into 'Superhero Mode' to Take Down a Thief
- Watch First Footage of ABC's 'Dirty Dancing' Remake
- Madonna Biopic 'Blonde Ambition' Is in the Works at Universal
- Rihanna on Kylie Jenner and Travis Scott's Romance: She Thinks It's 'Tasteless'
- Lee Sung Kyung and Nam Joo Hyuk Are Reportedly Dating
- Jenna Dewan Reportedly Joins Channing Tatum at 'Magic Mike Live' Premiere Due to Trust Issues
- Watch Preview of Ty Dolla $ign and Lil Yachty's Collaboration for 'Beach House 3'