Nina Simone's Daughter Slams Mary J. Blige for Labeling Her Mother 'Drug Addict'
The daughter of jazz great Nina Simone has taken aim at Mary J. Blige for labeling her mother a "drug addict", insisting the R&B superstar needs to do more research before she portrays the icon in an upcoming biopic. The "Family Affair" singer has been cast in the lead role in a movie adaptation of Cynthia Mort's "Nina", which focuses on Nina's relationship with her assistant Clifton Henderson.
Mary recently claimed she was perfect for the role because of the similarities between her and Nina, pinpointing the likeness between her own past with substance abuse and the late star's rumored struggle. But her comments have riled Nina's singer daughter Simone, reports Hip-Hop Weekly magazine.
She says, "All I can say is, if you're going to do a movie about a great public figure, I think it behooves you as a person who's decided this is what they wanna do, to do their due research so that you can embody the character and bring the most that you can of their personality to the screen. After having read Mary J. Blige's comments, that just kinda capped off (in my mind) that I don't think that's been done."
- 'Wet Hot American Summer: Ten Years Later' Gets Star-Studded First Trailer
- 'Jurassic World' Sequel Reveals Official Title and First Poster
- Harry Styles Mourning the Loss of His Stepfather
- 'KUWTK' Returns for Another Season as 'Life of Kylie' Ends Up Being a Flop
- 'Downtown Abbey' Movie Is in the Works
- Rob Kardashian Is Lawyering Up Against Blac Chyna
- Angelina Jolie and Charlize Theron Are Feuding Over 'Bride of Frankenstein' Role
- Nick Jonas to Embrace 'Positivity' in His New Album