Nina Simone's Daughter Slams Mary J. Blige for Labeling Her Mother 'Drug Addict'
The daughter of jazz great Nina Simone has taken aim at Mary J. Blige for labeling her mother a "drug addict", insisting the R&B superstar needs to do more research before she portrays the icon in an upcoming biopic. The "Family Affair" singer has been cast in the lead role in a movie adaptation of Cynthia Mort's "Nina", which focuses on Nina's relationship with her assistant Clifton Henderson.
Mary recently claimed she was perfect for the role because of the similarities between her and Nina, pinpointing the likeness between her own past with substance abuse and the late star's rumored struggle. But her comments have riled Nina's singer daughter Simone, reports Hip-Hop Weekly magazine.
She says, "All I can say is, if you're going to do a movie about a great public figure, I think it behooves you as a person who's decided this is what they wanna do, to do their due research so that you can embody the character and bring the most that you can of their personality to the screen. After having read Mary J. Blige's comments, that just kinda capped off (in my mind) that I don't think that's been done."
More Mary J. Blige News
- P. Diddy Throws Star-Studded Birthday Party for Girlfriend Cassie
- Kim Kardashian Says Kendall Jenner Is Banned by Uber, the Company Responds
- J Balvin Survives Plane Crash in Bahamas
- Luke Cage Reveals the Downside of Being Bulletproof in First Clip
- Justin Bieber and Sofia Richie Jet Off for Romantic Getaway Ahead of MTV VMAs
- Britney Spears Calls 'Carpool Karaoke' With James Corden 'Awkward'
- Taylor Swift Naked Wax Figure Displayed at Kanye West's 'Famous' Art Exhibit
- Tom Hiddleston's Instagram Gets Hacked