Placido Domingo Is Latin Grammy Person of the Year
Spanish tenor Placido Domingo was the toast of the Latin American music industry on Wednesday, November 10 when he was honored with a star-studded tribute concert in Las Vegas. The opera star was hailed as the Latin Grammy Person of the Year for his contributions to Spanish culture and his charity work, and a variety of artists from all genres of music took to the stage to pay tribute to Domingo, including country singer Alexander Fernandez, jazz star Patti Austin and harmony group The Lettermen.
Ricky Martin presented the crystal trophy to the music veteran, while the tenor's son, composer Domingo Placido, Jr., shared his love for the 69 year old with the audience. Appearing onstage alongside his father, Placido, Jr., told him, "If I had the choice to sing like you or be like you, I would prefer to be like you."
During his acceptance speech, the opera icon said, "This is a great honor for me. How many people seated in this room here today deserve to be the Person of the Year. I know there are many. Our language, our music, our culture, our happiness is contagious and the world has been infected with that music. Every day more people listen to our music in the world."
Domingo later took to the stage and received a standing ovation for a rousing performance of opera classic "Granada". The ceremony took place on the eve of the 2010 Latin Grammy Awards, which will take place in Sin City on Thursday night, November 11.
- Jennifer Lopez Shares Sweet Picture With Alex Rodriguez, Dubs Him Her Man Crush
- Jimmy Kimmel Predicts Rachel Lindsay's 'The Bachelorette' Final 3
- Rain and Kim Tae Hee Are Expecting Their First Child
- Iggy Azalea Addresses Feud With Adam Lambert: 'This Is Completely Entertainment'
- SISTAR Disbands After 7 Years, Members Pen Heartfelt Handwritten Letters to Fans
- Michael Jackson's Songs Are Reportedly Not Allowed to Be Featured in 'Bubbles'
- The Weeknd Buys $18 Million Luxurious House. Will Selena Gomez Move In?
- Celine Dion and Cher Reportedly Feuding at BBMAs