Ricky Martin Fighting to Get Married in Puerto Rico
Gay singer Ricky Martin is adamant he will one day marry his boyfriend, but not until they are legally allowed to wed in his native Puerto Rico. The Latino star announced he is gay earlier this year after years of speculation about his sexuality.
Martin has also revealed he is in a serious relationship and he is keen to exchange vows with his lover - but it is currently against the law to have a same-sex wedding in his homeland. The "Livin' La Vida Loca" hitmaker has considered making his union official in Spain or Argentina, where gay marriages are legal, but he is determined to wait until he can marry in Puerto Rico.
He tells U.S. newsman Larry King, "I would get married... There are many countries around the world where same-sex marriage is a right. Not in Puerto Rico, unfortunately. And not in many states in America."
"Yes, we could go to Spain and get married. We can go to Argentina and get married. But why do we have to go somewhere else? Why can't I do it in my country where the laws are - you know, protecting me?"
"I can go to Spain. I have many friends in Spain. And get married. And make it very beautiful and symbolic. But... I (can't) do it in the backyard of my house. I want to have that option. I don't want to be a second class citizen anymore. I pay my taxes. Why can't I have that right?"
- 'Game of Thrones' Set Pics: Look Who's Also Back for Season 7!
- Are They Really Dating? Drake Already Introduces Taylor Swift to His Mom
- Ouch, It Looks Painful! Hugh Jackman Suffers Gunshot Wounds in New 'Logan' Image
- Jasmine Tookes to Rock Victoria's Secret New Fantasy Bra. See and Get Details of the $3M Lingerie!
- J.J. Abrams' 'God Particle' Is Reportedly the Next 'Cloverfield' Movie
- Is This What Tom Hiddleston Thinks of Taylor Swift Getting Close With Drake?
- 'Sherlock' Season 4 Gets Premiere Date. Mark Your Calendar!
- Gavin Rossdale Signs Publishing Deal With Roc Nation