Ricky Martin Fighting to Get Married in Puerto Rico
Gay singer Ricky Martin is adamant he will one day marry his boyfriend, but not until they are legally allowed to wed in his native Puerto Rico. The Latino star announced he is gay earlier this year after years of speculation about his sexuality.
Martin has also revealed he is in a serious relationship and he is keen to exchange vows with his lover - but it is currently against the law to have a same-sex wedding in his homeland. The "Livin' La Vida Loca" hitmaker has considered making his union official in Spain or Argentina, where gay marriages are legal, but he is determined to wait until he can marry in Puerto Rico.
He tells U.S. newsman Larry King, "I would get married... There are many countries around the world where same-sex marriage is a right. Not in Puerto Rico, unfortunately. And not in many states in America."
"Yes, we could go to Spain and get married. We can go to Argentina and get married. But why do we have to go somewhere else? Why can't I do it in my country where the laws are - you know, protecting me?"
"I can go to Spain. I have many friends in Spain. And get married. And make it very beautiful and symbolic. But... I (can't) do it in the backyard of my house. I want to have that option. I don't want to be a second class citizen anymore. I pay my taxes. Why can't I have that right?"
- Find Out How Jaden Smith Tricked His Dad Will Smith Into Letting Him Drink on His Birthday
- Jean-Claude Van Damme Walks Out of TV Interview After Reporter Asks This Question
- Matt Damon Will Take a Break From Acting Next Year
- Kanye West Launches Twitter Rants About Apple and Tidal Beef
- Tyler Posey Clarifies 'I Am Gay' Snapchat Video, Apologizes for Fake Coming Out
- Nick Jonas Offered $2 Million to Perform at RNC
- Director Paul Feig Slams Sony for Deleting 'Ghostbusters' Pro-Hillary Tweet
- 'Game of Thrones' Set to End With Season 8, Spin-Off Plan Confirmed