F1 Champion Jenson Button Almost Caught in Armed Ambush in Brazil
Formula One world champion Jenson Button was left terrified after an armed gang tried to ambush his car in Sao Paulo, Brazil on Saturday night, November 6. The British sportsman was traveling through a shanty town in the city in an armored car after the qualifying session for the Brazilian Grand Prix when his vehicle was surrounded by six men brandishing machine guns.
The quick-thinking driver took control of the situation by using the reinforced Mercedes to force their way through several cars on the road. And Button is thankful the chauffeur had the courage to get him and his fellow passengers out of danger.
He says, "We were going back from the track and were outside a shanty town and moving slowly on a busy road. I saw a dog come out, which was very cute. The next thing I saw was a man with a gun. I said, 'Isn't that a gun?' and as soon as I said that, the driver angled the car and floored it. That's when we saw six men, all of them brandishing machine guns."
"My driver was a legend. He bounced off about five cars. We were driving over the top of them. It was very scary. I don't know whether they knew who it was they were ambushing. But I am glad I didn't have my girlfriend Jessica (Michibata) with me. She would have been terrified." Additional security measures have now been put in place to ensure the safety of all drivers in Brazil for the race.
- Kanye West Robbed, Computers Stolen From His Studio
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Announces Big Reveal on May 31
- Dwayne Johnson Hints at Darker Hobbs in 'Fast and Furious 8' Image
- Paul Bettany Defends Johnny Depp Amid Amber Heard's Domestic Violence Accusations
- Khloe, Kourtney Kardashian, Tyga Celebrate Scott Disick's Birthday in Vegas
- Kate Beckinsale: Michael Bay Was Baffled Because 'My Boobs Weren't Bigger Than My Head'
- 'Maze Runner 3' Pushed Back to 2018 as Dylan O'Brien Is Still on the Mend After On-Set Accident
- PND Serenades Kylie Jenner After She Called Him Out for Deleting Her on Social Media