Michael Sheen Made Bawdy Speech at Britannia Awards
Betty White, Jeff Bridges and directors Ridley and Tony Scott were big winners at the Britannia Awards in Los Angeles on Thursday night, November 4 but "Frost/Nixon" star Michael Sheen stole the show with a bawdy acceptance speech honoring his "Wilde" co-star Stephen Fry, the event's host. The British comedian was left red-faced with laughter as Sheen recalled their love scenes together on the set of the 1997 Oscar Wilde biopic, while collecting his British Artist of the Year award at the British Academy of Film and Television Arts/Los Angeles prize giving.
Sheen started his speech by suggesting he was only being honored "so I won't keep showing up" (at the awards), and added that "The Twilight Saga's Breaking Dawn" co-star Dakota Fanning and fellow Brit Carey Mulligan had only shown up to present the award to him because "they thought they were here to talk about Martin Sheen". He then ripped into host Fry, calling the comic, "The man I had my first screen kiss with," and adding, "You never cease to engorge me."
He then had Fry and the audience in fits of laughter, stating the host was "the first man to give me a swift b**gering," and then recalled he still has "acid flashbacks", adding "I walk down the street and get an odd quiver." Other winners at the star-studded tribute to Brits in Hollywood were the Scott Brothers, who received Britannia Award for Contributions to Worldwide Entertainment from Rosario Dawson and movie mogul Jerry Bruckheimer; Bridges, who took home the Stanley Kubrick Britannia Award for Excellence in Film and White, who was honored with the Charlie Chaplin Britannia Award for Excellence in Comedy.
"Inception" star Marion Cotillard was also on hand to present her director Christopher Nolan with the John Schlesinger Britannia Award for Directing.
- Derek Hough and Tony Dovolani Not Returning for 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24
- Colton Haynes to Make Live Singing Debut in Tribute Performance for George Michael
- 'Jurassic World 2' First Set Photo Arrives as Filming Begins
- Behati Prinsloo Wows on First Post-Baby Runway Show at Milan Fashion Week
- A Green Lantern Is Reportedly Confirmed in 'Justice League'
- New Photos Seem to Confirm Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus' Romance Rumors
- 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Nick Blood Returning in Season 4?
- Happy 'Twin Peaks' Day! Showtime Unveils Posters for Revival