Jay-Z Blames Uncle's Murder for Dad's Abandonment
Jay-Z managed to put his bitter feelings towards his estranged dad behind him after realizing the murder of his uncle pushed his dad to drink. The "99 Problems" singer's father, Adnis Reeves, walked out on the family when the star was just 11 years old, and the rapper later let out his anger at the abandonment in his track "Moment of Clarity" following his father's death in 2003.
But in his new book, "Decoded", the star admits that he only recently understood it was the slaying of his father's brother, Ray - whose killer was never brought to justice - which pushed him to lose his grip on his responsibilities. He writes, "My dad swore revenge and became obsessed with hunting down Uncle Ray's killer. The tragedy - compounded by the injustice - drove him crazy, sent him to the bottle, and ultimately became a factor in the unraveling of my parents' marriage."
"By the time he left, he'd already given me a lot of what I'd need to survive."
More Jay-Z News
- 'Aquaman' Officially Casts Michael Beach in Potentially Significant Role
- FOX Sets Fall Premiere Dates for 'The Orville', 'Empire' and More
- Miranda Lambert Enjoys Singing About Heartbreak After Split From Blake Shelton
- Nicki Minaj Flaunts Major Cleavage in New Instagram Pics
- Does Rae Sremmurd Break Up? Swae Lee Tries 'to Steal All the Shine' From Slim Jimmy
- Bill Cosby Plans to Lecture Young People on How to Avoid Sexual Assault Accusations
- Beyonce and Jay-Z's Twins Finally Released From Hospital
- Brad Pitt Fired as the Depressing Weatherman on 'Jim Jefferies Show'. See His Reaction!