Rocker James Freud Took His Own Life
Australian rocker James Freud has been found dead at his home in Melbourne just days after his band Models was inducted into the ARIA Hall of Fame. The body of the 51-year-old singer/bass player was discovered by his family on Thursday morning, November 4. Police have confirmed his death is not suspicious and a statement from his Mushroom record label alleges the star "took his own life".
Michael Gudinski of Mushroom Music says, "It is with much sorrow that we share the news of the passing of James Freud... James' battle with alcoholism has been well chronicled. His two books on his recovery and five years sobriety were bestsellers and gave a lot of people who were suffering the same affliction comfort and hope."
"Unfortunately, James has succumbed to his disease and taken his own life this morning." The rock band was inducted into the Australian Record Industry Association awards (ARIA) Hall of Fame last week, although Freud was unable to attend the ceremony.
Freud was a member of several bands throughout the 1970s, including Teenage Radio Stars and James Freud & the Radio Stars, before he joined Models in 1982. After their split in 1988 he went on to carve out a solo career.
The rocker spent years battling drug and alcohol abuse and chronicled his problems in two books, 2002's I Am the Voice Left From Drinking and the 2007 sequel I Am the Voice Left From Rehab. Freud is survived by his wife, Sally, and two sons.
- Cress Williams to Lead The CW's DC Superhero Series 'Black Lightning'
- Joe Carnahan Rumored to Direct 'X-Force', Ryan Reynolds to Co-Write the Movie
- Did Nicki Minaj Just Diss Lil' Kim in Gucci Mane Collaboration 'Make Love'?
- Fifth Harmony, Nick Viall and Nancy Kerrigan to Join 'DWTS' Season 24
- Justin Bieber Denies Peeing His Pants: 'Water Spilled on My D**k Area'
- Meryl Streep Reacts After Karl Lagerfeld Calls Her 'Cheap' for Snubbing Chanel Dress at Oscars
- Watch Ed Sheeran Adorably Crash Katy Perry's Interview
- Neil Gaiman's 'American Gods' Finally Has Premiere Date