Rocker James Freud Took His Own Life
Australian rocker James Freud has been found dead at his home in Melbourne just days after his band Models was inducted into the ARIA Hall of Fame. The body of the 51-year-old singer/bass player was discovered by his family on Thursday morning, November 4. Police have confirmed his death is not suspicious and a statement from his Mushroom record label alleges the star "took his own life".
Michael Gudinski of Mushroom Music says, "It is with much sorrow that we share the news of the passing of James Freud... James' battle with alcoholism has been well chronicled. His two books on his recovery and five years sobriety were bestsellers and gave a lot of people who were suffering the same affliction comfort and hope."
"Unfortunately, James has succumbed to his disease and taken his own life this morning." The rock band was inducted into the Australian Record Industry Association awards (ARIA) Hall of Fame last week, although Freud was unable to attend the ceremony.
Freud was a member of several bands throughout the 1970s, including Teenage Radio Stars and James Freud & the Radio Stars, before he joined Models in 1982. After their split in 1988 he went on to carve out a solo career.
The rocker spent years battling drug and alcohol abuse and chronicled his problems in two books, 2002's I Am the Voice Left From Drinking and the 2007 sequel I Am the Voice Left From Rehab. Freud is survived by his wife, Sally, and two sons.
- Watch: Louis Tomlinson Performs 'Just Hold On' in Honor of His Late Mother
- Jennifer Lawrence Apologizes to Hawaiian People for Joking About Sacred Rocks
- Tim Miller Opens Up on Why He Left 'Deadpool 2'
- Donald Trump Clarifies 'Apprentice' Rumors, Insists He Will Devote 'Zero Time' to the Show
- Tom Holland Enrolled in High School Under Fake Name for 'Spider-Man: Homecoming'
- Kylie Jenner Awkwardly Gets Turned Down When Trying to Carry Tyga's Son King Cairo
- Mandy Moore and Milo Ventimiglia Share Adorable 'This Is Us' Family Photos. See Who's Missing
- Ryan Reynolds Wants 'Deadpool' / 'Wolverine' Crossover to Happen