Vince Vaughn Happy That His 'Gay' Joke Is Not Removed From 'Dilemma'
Vince Vaughn is pleased director Ron Howard opted to keep a 'gay' joke in their new film "The Dilemma" - because he's convinced banning controversial lines in comedy would make moviemaking "awkward". Howard refused to bow to pressure from officials at the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) to axe a scene from the upcoming movie, in which Vaughn's character tells a room of people, "Ladies and gentlemen, electric cars... are gay."
The actor has praised Howard for standing his ground, because he's sure that pulling the line would have had a profound effect on the genre. During an radio interview in Atlanta, Georgia on Wednesday, November 3, the actor said, "Part of the thing with comedy is that it's always been effective in that if there's tension there, ultimately, it brings us together, it makes things more comfortable.
"When there's things you can't say - you can't joke about this, you can't joke about that - I think it causes more awkwardness. We didn't really think it was being used as a derogatory term... and we would never try to hurt anyone's feelings."
"Ultimately it becomes a censorship issue... Once you start drawing lines over what you can joke about, that divides people. And that's never an effective way to go with people, especially with comedy, where you have a long history of making fun of stuff... I'm glad to hear that it's (line) staying in the movie."
The line has, however, been pulled from the movie's trailer following complaints.
- Khloe Kardashian Reveals Secret to Her Big and Perky Butt
- Disney Opens Up About Leia's Role, Han Solo Movie and the Future of 'Star Wars'
- Rihanna's Pals Begging Her to Stay Away From Chris Brown Amid Rumors Exes Are Reconnecting
- Elisabeth Moss Stands Up for Herself in 'Handmaid's Tale' Full Trailer
- Kendrick Lamar Goes After Donald Trump and Fellow Rapper on 'The Heart Part 4'
- New 'Alien: Covenant' Poster Features Xenomorphs Suffocating the Engineers
- Listen to David Guetta's 'Light My Body Up' Feat. Nicki Minaj and Lil Wayne
- Britney Spears Freaks Out After Sex Tape Leaks Online