Vince Vaughn Happy That His 'Gay' Joke Is Not Removed From 'Dilemma'
Vince Vaughn is pleased director Ron Howard opted to keep a 'gay' joke in their new film "The Dilemma" - because he's convinced banning controversial lines in comedy would make moviemaking "awkward". Howard refused to bow to pressure from officials at the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) to axe a scene from the upcoming movie, in which Vaughn's character tells a room of people, "Ladies and gentlemen, electric cars... are gay."
The actor has praised Howard for standing his ground, because he's sure that pulling the line would have had a profound effect on the genre. During an radio interview in Atlanta, Georgia on Wednesday, November 3, the actor said, "Part of the thing with comedy is that it's always been effective in that if there's tension there, ultimately, it brings us together, it makes things more comfortable.
"When there's things you can't say - you can't joke about this, you can't joke about that - I think it causes more awkwardness. We didn't really think it was being used as a derogatory term... and we would never try to hurt anyone's feelings."
"Ultimately it becomes a censorship issue... Once you start drawing lines over what you can joke about, that divides people. And that's never an effective way to go with people, especially with comedy, where you have a long history of making fun of stuff... I'm glad to hear that it's (line) staying in the movie."
The line has, however, been pulled from the movie's trailer following complaints.
- Adele Doesn't Care About Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie's Split, She Clarifies
- Video: Justin Bieber Gets Into a Fight in German Bar
- Adam Levine and Behati Prinsloo Share First Photo of Baby Dusty Rose
- Ryan Murphy Admits to 'Infighting' on 'Glee' Set and Cast Member Hookups
- Mariah Carey Wears No Underwear in Sheer White Dress During Romantic Getaway With Fiance
- Exes Demi Lovato and Joe Jonas Trapped in Elevator for Four Hours. Was It Awkward?
- Mom Material? Katy Perry Bonds With Orlando Bloom's Son Flynn at Shanghai Disneyland
- Listen to 'Trolls' Soundtrack Featuring Justin Timberlake, Gwen Stefani and Ariana Grande