Vince Vaughn Happy That His 'Gay' Joke Is Not Removed From 'Dilemma'
Vince Vaughn is pleased director Ron Howard opted to keep a 'gay' joke in their new film "The Dilemma" - because he's convinced banning controversial lines in comedy would make moviemaking "awkward". Howard refused to bow to pressure from officials at the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) to axe a scene from the upcoming movie, in which Vaughn's character tells a room of people, "Ladies and gentlemen, electric cars... are gay."
The actor has praised Howard for standing his ground, because he's sure that pulling the line would have had a profound effect on the genre. During an radio interview in Atlanta, Georgia on Wednesday, November 3, the actor said, "Part of the thing with comedy is that it's always been effective in that if there's tension there, ultimately, it brings us together, it makes things more comfortable.
"When there's things you can't say - you can't joke about this, you can't joke about that - I think it causes more awkwardness. We didn't really think it was being used as a derogatory term... and we would never try to hurt anyone's feelings."
"Ultimately it becomes a censorship issue... Once you start drawing lines over what you can joke about, that divides people. And that's never an effective way to go with people, especially with comedy, where you have a long history of making fun of stuff... I'm glad to hear that it's (line) staying in the movie."
The line has, however, been pulled from the movie's trailer following complaints.
- Johnny Depp Wasn't Even Near Amber Heard When He Allegedly Hit Her, Witnesses Say
- Is Olivia Culpo Dating Danny Amendola? Here's the Proof
- Brad Pitt Reportedly Worries About 'Anorexic' and 'Fragile' Angelina Jolie
- Dan Aykroyd on Why 'Ghostbusters' Reboot Is Worth Watching: It Has More Laughs and More Scares
- Gwen Stefani Releases Fashionable 'Misery' Music Video
- Harambe the Gorilla Shooting Sparks Outrage Among Hollywood Stars
- Brooklyn Beckham Flaunting His Abs in This Shirtless Selfie Will Make You Drool
- 'Game of Thrones': George R. R. Martin Reveals Brienne's Backstory