Portia de Rossi Urges Parents and Friends of Anorexia Victims to Offer Up Their Concerns
Actress Portia de Rossi has urged the worried parents and friends of potential anorexia victims to offer up their concerns - before an eating disorder consumes their loved ones. The former "Ally McBeal" stars talks about her battle with anorexia in new memoir "Unbearable Lightness" and she fears she would be really ill or even dead if her brother hadn't voiced his opinion about the star's drastic weightloss.
De Rossi fears too many people worry that they'll be "shut out" or even disowned if they approach an anorexic about their concerns but she insists it's the best thing you can do. In a taped interview for her wife Ellen DeGeneres' TV talk show, the actress explains, "A lot of people don't say anything at all because they are worried that that person is just going to completely shut them out of their lives and that actually may happen."
"But it is really important to say something. And the thing that you should say... the thing that I would have responded to was, 'You look sick. You don't look well. You look like you're suffering' - because the anorexic wants to be admired."
"Dieting is really hard and, to get down to that weight, you want people to admire you... 'You're too thin' to me was more of a compliment. Who can be too thin? There is a joke about it. You can't ever be too thin. So that just felt like a compliment."
"Anything that would suggest that a girl is not as in control as she wants to appear to be is a better thing. Because an anorexic wants control more than anything." The interview will air in America on Thursday, November 4.
Preview of Portia de Rossi on "The Ellen DeGeneres Show":
More Portia de Rossi News
- Watch Barden Bellas Dance in 'Pitch Perfect 3' Behind-the-Scenes Video
- James Marsden Is Under Consideration to Join 'Green Lantern Corps' as Hal Jordan
- Blake Lively 'Livid' Over Ryan Reynolds' Possible Reunion With Ex-Wife Scarlett Johansson
- The Weeknd Reunites With Selena Gomez at a Club After Running Into Ex Bella Hadid
- 'The Lost City of Z' Gets New International Trailer
- Peter Dinklage's New Red Hair May Hint at His 'Avengers: Infinity War' Role
- Future Enjoys Lavish Getaway in Dubai in New Video for 'Poppin' Tags'
- James Cameron and 'Deadpool' Director Tim Miller Team Up for New 'Terminator' Movie