Ricky Martin Felt 'Invaded' and 'Violated' by Barbara Walters' Gay Questions
Gay star Ricky Martin has revealed he felt numb when top U.S. newswoman Barbara Walters grilled him about his sexuality in a hard-hitting TV interview - because he wasn't ready to be outed. The "Livin' La Vida Loca" star came out as a homosexual in an email in March and has now written about his big secret in new memoir "Me" - but when Walters gave him the chance to clear up rumors he was gay in a 2000 interview, he desperately attempted to change the subject.
In his first in depth TV chat since his big reveal, Martin tells Oprah Winfrey he felt like Walters was beating him up. He says, "She knocked me out... I had my little monologue prepared - what I was used to answering: 'No, I don't think it's something that I want to talk about; this is something private... I show everything when I'm onstage...'. But she kept on going and going and going. I just wasn't ready... It was not my moment."
Martin admits he felt angry after the big TV interview, saying "I felt invaded, I felt violated in many ways... but it was not the first time I was asked this question in an interview, but it was a massive TV show... That gave the right for every journalist to ask."
"People were mocking my sexuality and I was, like, 'I don't wanna be that. Is that me...?' I think I hate myself... That's why I must insist, when someone is not ready, we must not try to force that person to come out."
Martin claims the recent spate of young gay suicides in America are further proof that homosexuals must be allowed to come out in their own time. He adds, "Right now we are dealing with people that are being bullied because they are gay and now we're dealing with people who are committing suicide because they're forced to come out and that is horrible... You have to go through a very spiritual process in order for you to accept yourself and then it feels amazing."
Ricky Martin at "The Oprah Winfrey Show":
- 'The Voice' Season 12 Sneak Peek: Watch 29-Year-Old J. Chosen Blow the Coaches' Mind
- Sinead O'Connor Apologizes for Saying Arsenio Hall Gave Prince Drugs
- See Lethal Charlize Theron in New 'Atomic Blonde' Poster
- Brooklyn Beckham Gets Dating Advice From Anais Gallagher
- Nicole Scherzinger Goes Underwear Free in Dazzling Dress at BRIT Awards After-Party
- 'This Is Us' to Bring Back Ron Cephas Jones in Season 2 After That Emotional Road Trip
- Gigi and Bella Hadid Go Vampy for Milan Fashion Week
- NBC's 'Taken' Opening Scene Reveals How Bryan Mills' Sister Is Murdered