Sharon Osbourne Cancels Marie Claire Subscription Due to Maura Kelly's Article
Sharon Osbourne has fired off a foul-mouthed rant at an American journalist over an article which criticizes overweight actors on TV - calling the reporter a "discredit to other women". The rock matriarch, who has long struggled with her own weight issues, was outraged after reading an article by Maura Kelly, which was posted on MarieClaire.com on Monday, October 25.
The piece, titled Should 'Fatties' Get a Room? (Even on TV?), discusses the problem of obesity and refers to U.S. sitcom "Mike & Molly", which focuses on a couple who meet at an Overeaters Anonymous group. In the article, Kelly claims she would be "grossed out if I had to watch two characters with rolls and rolls of fat kissing each other..." and she finds it "aesthetically displeasing to watch a very, very fat person simply walk across a room".
Osbourne spoke out about the controversial piece on American chat show The Talk on Wednesday, October 27, labeling Kelly a "b**ch" and vowing to cancel her subscription to Marie Claire magazine. She says, "(Kelly is) a discredit to other women - and I think she is a b**ch and I want her a**e here... I am now canceling my subscription to the magazine, because apparently, this Kelly said it was on the advice of the editor of the magazine to do this piece, and I think it is absolutely (deplorable). I am so close to tears..."
"If this woman was here, I tell you, she would get such a mouthful from me. People like this are adding to the problem that we have today with our kids - boys and girls - about being anorexic, about having low self-esteem... I'm 30 pounds overweight right now, should I not be allowed to kiss my husband or my children, or walk across a room?"
Kelly has since apologized for her "insensitive" comments.
- Cuba Gooding Jr. Generates Online Outrage After Lifting Up Sarah Paulson's Skirt at PaleyFest
- New Footage of 'Blade Runner 2049' Is Screened at CinemaCon
- Nina Agdal Flaunts Her Enviable Figure in Skimpy Bikinis for New Swimwear Campaign
- Matthew Morrison Joins 'Grey's Anatomy' in Mystery Role. Get the First Look
- Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey Confront Each Other in 'The Dark Tower' First Footage
- Kris Jenner's 'Desperate to Hook Up' With O.J. Simpson. What About Toy Boy Corey Gamble?
- The Weeknd Secretly Serenades Selena Gomez at Brazilian Concert Backstage
- 'Arrow': Katie Cassidy Returns for Season 6 as Series Regular With a Twist