Sharon Osbourne Cancels Marie Claire Subscription Due to Maura Kelly's Article
Sharon Osbourne has fired off a foul-mouthed rant at an American journalist over an article which criticizes overweight actors on TV - calling the reporter a "discredit to other women". The rock matriarch, who has long struggled with her own weight issues, was outraged after reading an article by Maura Kelly, which was posted on MarieClaire.com on Monday, October 25.
The piece, titled Should 'Fatties' Get a Room? (Even on TV?), discusses the problem of obesity and refers to U.S. sitcom "Mike & Molly", which focuses on a couple who meet at an Overeaters Anonymous group. In the article, Kelly claims she would be "grossed out if I had to watch two characters with rolls and rolls of fat kissing each other..." and she finds it "aesthetically displeasing to watch a very, very fat person simply walk across a room".
Osbourne spoke out about the controversial piece on American chat show The Talk on Wednesday, October 27, labeling Kelly a "b**ch" and vowing to cancel her subscription to Marie Claire magazine. She says, "(Kelly is) a discredit to other women - and I think she is a b**ch and I want her a**e here... I am now canceling my subscription to the magazine, because apparently, this Kelly said it was on the advice of the editor of the magazine to do this piece, and I think it is absolutely (deplorable). I am so close to tears..."
"If this woman was here, I tell you, she would get such a mouthful from me. People like this are adding to the problem that we have today with our kids - boys and girls - about being anorexic, about having low self-esteem... I'm 30 pounds overweight right now, should I not be allowed to kiss my husband or my children, or walk across a room?"
Kelly has since apologized for her "insensitive" comments.
More Sharon Osbourne News
- Sharon Osbourne Faces Backlash After Undergoing Plastic Surgery for Her Ageless Look
- At Rob Lowe Roast, Ann Coulter Ends Up on the Receiving End of Comics' Jabs
- Jennifer Garner Appears to Be Crying During a Reunion With Ben Affleck
- Is Tupac Still Alive? Rapper's New Selfie Arrives 20 Years After His Death
- New 'Westworld' Trailer Sets Clear Distinction Between Reality and Fantasy
- New 'Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children' Featurette Highlights 'Fierce Female' Characters
- Drake Trips on Rihanna's Dress After Declaring His Love for Her at the 2016 MTV VMAs
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' 2.10 Preview: Travis and Chris Run Into New Group