Jane Fonda Stepped Out of Hollywood Due to Menopause
Jane Fonda turned her back on Hollywood for 15 years because the menopause left her feeling "so unhappy" she couldn't act. The movie icon admits she couldn't act feeling as low as she did, so she decided to step out of the spotlight and concentrate on becoming an activist and a good wife to her then-husband, TV mogul Ted Turner.
In a candid TV chat with pal Oprah Winfrey, which aired on TV in America on Wednesday, October 27, Fonda explained, "I felt so awful as a woman and I can't be creative if I feel bad, so I just said, 'I'm gonna leave Hollywood and be an environmental activist full time,' and then Ted came along."
Looking back, the "Barbarella" star realizes she was experiencing the menopause, "I thought, 'Well, if it's hormonal I'd have hot flashes... It's a really, really hard time; you have the hormonal shifts and you're not quite sure who you are anymore or what you're supposed to become and I basically was having a nervous breakdown."
"I couldn't speak above a whisper, I couldn't eat, I had to walk very slowly, I had to listen to very soft, soothing music... I was very very vulnerable."
More Jane Fonda News
- Cate Blanchett Turns Into a Drag Queen for Charity
- See Mindy Transforming Into a Handsome White Man on 'The Mindy Project'
- Video of Harrison Ford Flying Over Commercial Plane Emerges
- Karlie Kloss Flashes Major Sideboob as She Goes Braless at a Charity Event
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl Jersey Is Worth $500,000
- Jimmy Kimmel May Retire From Late-Night TV: 'I Have Very Little Free Time'
- 'The Flash' 3.14 Preview: Team Flash Is Ready to Battle Grodd and His Army
- Meghan Trainor to Release New Song 'I'm a Lady'