Jane Fonda Stepped Out of Hollywood Due to Menopause
Jane Fonda turned her back on Hollywood for 15 years because the menopause left her feeling "so unhappy" she couldn't act. The movie icon admits she couldn't act feeling as low as she did, so she decided to step out of the spotlight and concentrate on becoming an activist and a good wife to her then-husband, TV mogul Ted Turner.
In a candid TV chat with pal Oprah Winfrey, which aired on TV in America on Wednesday, October 27, Fonda explained, "I felt so awful as a woman and I can't be creative if I feel bad, so I just said, 'I'm gonna leave Hollywood and be an environmental activist full time,' and then Ted came along."
Looking back, the "Barbarella" star realizes she was experiencing the menopause, "I thought, 'Well, if it's hormonal I'd have hot flashes... It's a really, really hard time; you have the hormonal shifts and you're not quite sure who you are anymore or what you're supposed to become and I basically was having a nervous breakdown."
"I couldn't speak above a whisper, I couldn't eat, I had to walk very slowly, I had to listen to very soft, soothing music... I was very very vulnerable."
- Taylor Swift Who? Calvin Harris Gets Flirty With Mystery Brunette While Partying in Cabo
- Apple in Talks to Buy Jay-Z's Tidal
- Kylie Jenner Calls Tyga Her 'Husband' on Snapchat
- Lindsay Lohan Writing Tell-All Book About Her Life
- 'Wreck-It Ralph 2' Gets 2018 Release Date, Hints at Internet Setting
- Rihanna Is Queen of the Universe in 'Sledgehammer' Music Video
- Lady GaGa Responds to Dalai Lama Controversy
- Idris Elba, Michael B. Jordan, John Boyega Join Academy After OscarsSoWhite Backlash