Akon Banned From Performing in Australia
R&B star Akon has been banned from performing at a gig in Melbourne, Australia after his 2009 concert in the city was marred by violence. The singer was due to play at the Summerbeatz festival at Rod Laver Arena on November 25, but bosses at the venue have forbidden the star from going ahead with the show following last year's gig brawl.
Akon was performing at Melbourne's HiSense Arena as part of his co-headlining show with T-Pain last October when rival gangs began fighting, prompting Akon to halt the event. At least 18 people received medical treatment, including two security guards, while nine were taken to hospital following the riots.
And Akon has now been forced to miss Melbourne out of his Australian tour, which kicks off next month. The star's music promoter Dwayne Cross says in a statement, "Akon will not be performing in Melbourne on the Summerbeatz 2010 Tour. This is due to restrictions put on us by the Melbourne venue Rod Laver Arena. We have toured Akon in Australia many times before and we are extremely disappointed that Melbourne misses out on seeing such an amazing and popular performer, however, this situation is completely out of our hands."
The Melbourne show will go ahead with Ciara, Jay Sean, Travis McCoy and Soulja Boy among the stars headlining.
- Pressed About Gay Cover-Up Rumor, Here's How Will Smith Reacts
- Bryan Singer Confirms 'Legion' Will 'Relate' to Future 'X-Men' Movies
- Demi Lovato's Reportedly Dating UFC's Luke Rockhold
- Do You Ever Find Group Chat Annoying? Kerry Washington Perfectly Portrays It in Fake Movie Trailer
- Ellie Goulding Releases 'Still Falling for You' Video From 'Bridget Jones's Baby'
- So, This Is Apparently Why Jennifer Lopez Broke Up With Casper Smart
- Helen Mirren in Talks to Join New 'Nutcracker' Movie, Sarah Paulson Eying a Role in 'Ocean's Eight'
- Young Thug's 'No, My Name Is Jeffery' Album Cover Sparks Hilarious Memes