Naomi Watts, Sam Worthington and Clive Owen Lead AFI Awards Nominations
Naomi Watts, Sam Worthington and Clive Owen are leading this year's nominations list for the Australian Film Institute (AFI) Awards. Watts' role in "Mother and Child" has landed her a place on the shortlist for the International Award for Best Actress along with Toni Collette, "Edge of Darkness" ' Bojana Novakovic and "Alice in Wonderland" 's Mia Wasikowska.
Worthington is competing for the International Award for Best Male for his role in blockbuster "Avatar", going up against Simon Baker, Ryan Kwanten and Kodi Smit-McPhee. Other stars nominated for prizes at the upcoming ceremony include Clive Owen, who is up for the AFI Award For Best Lead Actor for his role in "The Boys Are Back", alongside contenders Ben Mendelsohn, James Frecheville and Brendan Cowell.
Abbie Cornish has received a nod for the AFI Award For Best Lead Actress and "The Hurt Locker" 's Guy Pearce is heading the nominations for the Best Supporting Actor trophy. Movie "Animal Kingdom" tops the nominations board with a record 18 category listings, "Beneath Hill 60" is up for 12 awards and Jane Campion's "Bright Star" will compete for 11 prizes.
The ceremony is due to take place on December 10 and 11 in Melbourne, Australia.
- 'Supernatural' Casts David Haydn-Jones as a Mysterious Character
- Lin-Manuel Miranda Releases Tribute Rap for 'The West Wing'
- Kim Kardashian, Kylie and Kendall Jenner Dolled Up for 'Ocean's Eight' Cameo Filming
- Amanda Seyfried Dishes on Upcoming Low-Key Wedding to Thomas Sadoski
- Harley Quinn Might Appear on 'Gotham' Earlier Than Expected
- Soulja Boy Takes a Shot at Chris Brown, 50 Cent, Mike Tyson on New Song 'Stop Playing with Me'
- Is Tina Fey Making 'Mean Girls 2' Without Lindsay Lohan?
- Lady GaGa Builds a Dance Floor in Her Backyard, Shares Crazy Idea for Super Bowl Performance